Freaking out about DO shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazybutt26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am applying to DO schools this upcoming cycle. I am filing out the application and every single piece is all falling into right places except for a DO office that I reached out on April 26th Friday to see if I can shadow a DO doctor. I worked closely with an MD who wrote me a great letter, so I reached out to her and see if there is any DO she knew. She gave me this DO's contact, I emailed her, and her office manager reached out and said she'd ask the DO doctor what time/date best works for her. Last Wed, I reached out (after waiting three business days...I know) to see if they had a chance to pick up a date (just one full day for shadowing). The lady said they're just waiting to pick a date where there's a few OMT patients. And at that, "I was like wow that'd be amazing" AND THAT WAS LAST WEEK! I don't know why it's taking them so long to pick a date. I want to shadow a DO, get a letter and then apply soon!!! Does anybody know how I should approach this?! When do you think I can reach out again? I mean I am bothering these people for my gain, so I don't want to be so pushy but I HOPE SHE'S NOT GHOSTING ME :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last week isn't that long ago, I'd hold tight. Maybe wait another week or so to ask the MD you know to give them a "nudge" or call them yourself.
While you are waiting I'd try to get in touch with other DOs, even by cold calling.
Having a DO letter when you apply isn't the worst; ideally you'd be able to send in a DO letter with your secondaries and be able to back up your "why DO" at interviews with "I've shadowed a DO" but there are at least a few schools that will consider you without one.

PS I should add that I was accepted to a DO school without a DO letter. Had shadowed a DO, was going to get a letter, but was accepted before it was submitted so I let them know I didn't need one anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also better to apply with a DO letter a little later than not have one. I applied to a school without one and got rejected I assume because of no DO shadowing even though I had a great MD letter and 3.9 gpa and 516 MCAT. Then I got a letter from a DO and shadowed some and got into one of the original 5 after applying in February. If you apply by August you will still have an excellent shot. Haha I applied to three schools in February and March time and was accepted to all three.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week isn't that long ago, I'd hold tight. Maybe wait another week or so to ask the MD you know to give them a "nudge" or call them yourself.
While you are waiting I'd try to get in touch with other DOs, even by cold calling.
Having a DO letter when you apply isn't the worst; ideally you'd be able to send in a DO letter with your secondaries and be able to back up your "why DO" at interviews with "I've shadowed a DO" but there are at least a few schools that will consider you without one.

Okay. I guess I will just have to wait one more week so the MD that I asked said, “I am happy to reach out to another DO who started at my clinic” but the other DO contact she gave me works at a different location as part of a big hospital. And I think when the manager of this DO reaches out to MD to “fact check” that she indeed provided this DO’s contact and she knew me. After that, the MD never reached back out with a new DO in her clinic at the same location I guess because she thought that I was good with this one. So I can’t even reach out to her again and plus the letter this MD wrote lacked her signature and I already bothered her with that plenty this past few weeks to get it fixed. So I am cooked

Also better to apply with a DO letter a little later than not have one. I applied to a school without one and got rejected I assume because of no DO shadowing even though I had a great MD letter and 3.9 gpa and 516 MCAT. Then I got a letter from a DO and shadowed some and got into one of the original 5 after applying in February. If you apply by August you will still have an excellent shot. Haha I applied to three schools in February and March time and was accepted to all three.

That’s crazy!! I didn’t even know you can still get acceptances after applying in February?! That’s a great advice tho because I was like “how am I going to really explain to DO schools that I want to become a DO without shadowing one” I mean I absolutely agree with their philosophy and how they care for the patients because there’s a lot more than just pathological cause that’s affecting one’s health. But my first choice school is rolling admission and I am afraid that even August might be late for that school. Plus I heard from other students who got accepted at that school that they didn’t even have any shadowing or DO letter at the time of applying. So I don’t know ‍♀️ I really wanna be able to get the applications in by end of May and then if this DO office happens to come around in June, I can get the letter and send the letter later I AM PRAYING

Hello,

So I am applying to DO schools this upcoming cycle. I am filing out the application and every single piece is all falling into right places except for a DO office that I reached out on April 26th Friday to see if I can shadow a DO doctor. I worked closely with an MD who wrote me a great letter, so I reached out to her and see if there is any DO she knew. She gave me this DO's contact, I emailed her, and her office manager reached out and said she'd ask the DO doctor what time/date best works for her. Last Wed, I reached out (after waiting three business days...I know) to see if they had a chance to pick up a date (just one full day for shadowing). The lady said they're just waiting to pick a date where there's a few OMT patients. And at that, "I was like wow that'd be amazing" AND THAT WAS LAST WEEK! I don't know why it's taking them so long to pick a date. I want to shadow a DO, get a letter and then apply soon!!! Does anybody know how I should approach this?! When do you think I can reach out again? I mean I am bothering these people for my gain, so I don't want to be so pushy but I HOPE SHE'S NOT GHOSTING ME :(
Quit fussing!

Not having a DO LOR won't hurt at most schools
Having one will help.

Kinda in this boat except its the other way around: Will have a DO letter but no shadowing.
I feel like I need this to answer "Why DO?"

Quit fussing!

Not having a DO LOR won't hurt at most schools
Having one will help.

I know lol I gotta stop but that’s literally the last thing on my check list :(

Kinda in this boat except its the other way around: Will have a DO letter but no shadowing.

How did you get a DO letter without shadowing that doc?! Who did the DO doc just write the letter for you in support of your application?! So interesting!

You can answer “why DO” with a thorough reading of any DO school’s or the AACOM’s website.

How did you get a DO letter without shadowing that doc?! Who did the DO doc just write the letter for you in support of your application?! So interesting!

A DO I work with. I could shadow her but we work the same hours and it might be awkward in that people will start asking questions if they see me following her around/shadowing while I have my own patients to see...
Will still try for an outside DO.

If you don't get your letter make sure you don't apply to any schools that require a DO letter like WVSOM. Don't want to throw away money.

If you don't get your letter make sure you don't apply to any schools that require a DO letter like WVSOM. Don't want to throw away money.

Good to know! Do you know any other DO schools that require the letter?