Freaking out. Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JiniInBottle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My step 2 ck is scheduled on coming 11th. I have been getting test scores in 50's on uworld. I've already completed my 4th year, I can't wait around another year to apply for residency plus I need to pass step 2 ck to get my MD.
I took Step 2 once in April and didn't pass: got 190.
I took Step 1 before 3rd year and got 216.
I need to apply to residency this year.
What should I do?
Could use some advice. I'm already freaking out please don't make it worse.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My step 2 ck is scheduled on coming 11th. I have been getting test scores in 50's on uworld. I've already completed my 4th year, I can't wait around another year to apply for residency plus I need to pass step 2 ck to get my MD.
What should I do?

Thank you.

if you are an IMG, with those step performance metrics, you will likely not match anywhere. That means you will have your MD Degree and be unemployable as a physician. Just being realistic.

if youre an USA MD student, you should consult programs where you hope to match and ask them where you stand with your performance to date, and discuss "what if" scenarios. You are going to need a long list of programs to apply ~ 100. A Step 2 failure after a Step 1 low score is not good, but you already know this

defer the exam until your Step 2 CK score is way above the national mean.

Bruh you need to delay but I don't think it will matter. Only way you match is if you auditioned at a place and they really really like you. I would be surprised if you matched with a 250 CK at this point.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Firstly, don't freak out, we usually don't make the best decisions when we're overwhelmed by emotions.

I think you need take a deep breath and take a step back to look at the big picture. Think about your options.

1. Give CK now and get an average score. Then what are your chances of matching this year?

2. Delay CK, improve and get a better score. But then you probably wouldn't be able to apply this year. What what would be your chances to match next year with a better score? (You can always use the year, with research / publications / etc, or whatever you feel is best to make your application strong).

3. Other options you can think of.

I don't know your exact situation, I'd just say think about it calmly, choose an option and go with it. That's how I process situations that overwhelm me. Don't put a crazy amount on pressure on yourself that you hurt yourself in the long run. If that makes sense. Wish you all the best

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile