Freaking out over ERAS mistake!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mason23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So going through my ERAS application today I noticed that there was only 1 checkmark next to either categorical or advanced for my top 3 programs. I intended to apply for both spots and rank both spots. Now, I'm scared that the PD's thought I only wanted to be ranked for either PGY-1 or PGY-2, and not both positions. I sent an email to the program coordinators today letting them know what happened, but haven't heard back yet. Am I totally screwed?!

Members don't see this ad.

So going through my ERAS application today I noticed that there was only 1 checkmark next to either categorical or advanced for my top 3 programs. I intended to apply for both spots and rank both spots. Now, I'm scared that the PD's thought I only wanted to be ranked for either PGY-1 or PGY-2, and not both positions. I sent an email to the program coordinators today letting them know what happened, but haven't heard back yet. Am I totally screwed?!

I am only applying to advanced spots so on 11 days ago one of the programs emailed to check that I was not interested in a categorical spot. Here is what she said:

"We are preparing our rank list and I noticed that you have only applied to our Advanced program. The position would be for a PGY-2 beginning July 1, 2014.

I just want to make sure that is accurate. If not, and you are interested in the Categorical program as well (to begin July 1, 2013), please apply through ERAS."

They can't rank you in a spot that you didn't apply for on ERAS. So I'd say your first job is to officially apply through ERAS. Next they need to know about it so emailing them was a good idea. I'd bet if they get your application and email in time, they would just rank both of your applications approximately the same.

Otherwise, you're not "screwed" but you would not be limited to only one of the tracts.

Thank you for your reply!! When I first noticed the error I checked the box for the other position. I'm just hoping my mistake can be fixed before the Feb 20 deadline. Thanks again for the advice :)