FREAKING OUT over the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ame535

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT next week and I'm stressed out to the max and on the verge of breaking down:scared:
I have been studying really hard for about 2 months now, but I don't see any improvement. My GPA is on the low side, so I need to pull 21+ on each section. I never stressed out about a test as much as this one; it is even affecting my health. I am drained from studying, and can't push my self to study anymore. I CANT sleep thinking about this test. I'm scared that all my hard work goes to waste taking my dream of becoming a dentist with it :nailbiting:. I don't want to let myself and parents down.

Please any advise or words of encouragement!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, I know how you feel. My DAT's next Thursday, and I had a mental breakdown a few days ago. Let it out and just cry. Relax, and step away from your studies. The more stressed out you are, you won't be able to absorb any more information because of the stress in your head that's blocking you from learning. Talk to a friend, and consider your options as well. Come up with a backup plan to get back up just in case you fall.

For me, I was freaking out so badly about the test and I can't accept failure myself but you know what? There will be harder tests in your life compared to the DAT. Think about everything you've accomplished so far that made you get to where you are. Think about the sacrifices you've made to study for this DAT and how much you've invested into it. Hell, I know the trade-off for the sacrifices I've made and I've let it motivate me to strive for better scores on my practices. I know, believe me. I know what you're going through. Physically, I gave myself up by not going to the gym every day in order invest time to sharpen my mental capacity in a short period of time and as a result, my physical health and mental health aren't really the best.

If you're not feeling ready, push back your date. If you're like me and you absolutely can't push it back, just take it next week and DO YOUR ABSOLUTE BEST. If you don't do well, retake it in July. That's my backup plan. Relax, step away, take more breaks, and don't trap yourself in a mental prison. You're starting to play mind games with yourself, and you have to break out of that.

Also, I try to get 6-7 hours of sleep per night. Sleep more, nap more, you'll retain more information that way. Fall asleep to ExamKrackers if you have them, as well. Do everything it takes. Studying and practicing is your pathway to success. Try not to let yourself get burnt out and broken like this. You can do it! Wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I know how you feel. My DAT's next Thursday, and I had a mental breakdown a few days ago. Let it out and just cry. Relax, and step away from your studies. The more stressed out you are, you won't be able to absorb any more information because of the stress in your head that's blocking you from learning. Talk to a friend, and consider your options as well. Come up with a backup plan to get back up just in case you fall.

For me, I was freaking out so badly about the test and I can't accept failure myself but you know what? There will be harder tests in your life compared to the DAT. Think about everything you've accomplished so far that made you get to where you are. Think about the sacrifices you've made to study for this DAT and how much you've invested into it. Hell, I know the trade-off for the sacrifices I've made and I've let it motivate me to strive for better scores on my practices. I know, believe me. I know what you're going through. Physically, I gave myself up by not going to the gym every day in order invest time to sharpen my mental capacity in a short period of time and as a result, my physical health and mental health aren't really the best.

If you're not feeling ready, push back your date. If you're like me and you absolutely can't push it back, just take it next week and DO YOUR ABSOLUTE BEST. If you don't do well, retake it in July. That's my backup plan. Relax, step away, take more breaks, and don't trap yourself in a mental prison. You're starting to play mind games with yourself, and you have to break out of that.

Also, I try to get 6-7 hours of sleep per night. Sleep more, nap more, you'll retain more information that way. Fall asleep to ExamKrackers if you have them, as well. Do everything it takes. Studying and practicing is your pathway to success. Try not to let yourself get burnt out and broken like this. You can do it! Wish you the best of luck.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I know what you mean I stopped going to the gym too just so I study more :(
You are absolutely right I'm playing mind games with myself; I got to think more positively.
I wish you all the best on the DAT.

Figured I'd make a comment since I was in your boat last week. Just took the DAT today and my one word of advice is to not freak out... it will do nothing to benefit you. I went in nervous since my practice test scores weren't so great and came out with better scores in almost every section.

Reactions: 4 users
Figured I'd make a comment since I was in your boat last week. Just took the DAT today and my one word of advice is to not freak out... it will do nothing to benefit you. I went in nervous since my practice test scores weren't so great and came out with better scores in almost every section.

You are right. I will try my best not to freak out. Thank you.
How did you find the test? Would you please elaborate on the resources you used?

Reactions: 1 user
I found the test easier than I expected it to be for the most part. My only issues were some random bio questions that I had not reviewed and had to guess on and some statistics/probability problems in the QR. The main resource I used was the kaplan blue book to review all the subjects. I also used topscore pro practice tests, the ADA practice exam and the free portion of the DAT bootcamp exams.

DAT next week and I'm stressed out to the max and on the verge of breaking down:scared:
I have been studying really hard for about 2 months now, but I don't see any improvement. My GPA is on the low side, so I need to pull 21+ on each section. I never stressed out about a test as much as this one; it is even affecting my health. I am drained from studying, and can't push my self to study anymore. I CANT sleep thinking about this test. I'm scared that all my hard work goes to waste taking my dream of becoming a dentist with it :nailbiting:. I don't want to let myself and parents down.

I have a feeling this was posted by swindoll (me!) from the past! :)
Literally every single word would apply to my past self. Except for "on the verge" part, because I crossed that verge. I was on the phone, crying to my mom for a good hour while walking around the living room in circles like an idiot! :pacifier1:Thank God my roommates were away that week! So I completely understand where you're coming from! However, you have no reason to stress! Seriously, NONE! Here's why:

1) Sciences on the real DAT are usually a lot easier than on ANY of the available practice tests.
2) PAT on the real DAT can be challenging, but they score it very leniently. For example, I guessed on SO MANY question it would be hard to count, yet still got a 21. :p
3) Reading is not hard either. English is not my first language, and I didn't think it was too bad. So relax!
4) Math sucks. It was my lowest score. BUT! DENTAL SCHOOLS DON"T CARE ABOUT MATH!!! The ds student I shadow got a 17 (yup, SEVENTEEN!) on her QR, and still got in!

Breath! You got this! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
walking around the living room in circles like an idiot!

AAAAAAAHHHHH this is exactly me the other day!!

1) Sciences on real DAT are usually a lot easier than on ANY of the available practice tests.
2) PAT on real DAT can be challenging, but they score it very leniently. For example, I guessed on SO MANY question it would be hard to count, yet still got a 21. :p
3) Reading is not hard either. English is not my first language, and I didn't think it was too bad. So relax!
4) Math sucks. It was my lowest score. BUT! DENTAL SCHOOLS DON"T CARE ABOUT MATH!!! The ds student I shadow got a 17 (yup, SEVENTEEN!) on her QR, and still got in!

This is very reassuring! Thank you for the encouragement, I highly appreciate it. I decided to postpone my test, and I feel much better that I did. Your scores are amazing! I am glad you are over this.

BTW, English is my second language too!!

Everyone is in the same boat as you :) but i try to remember to take a step back and look at the situation in the grand scheme of things. if you have the passion and you work hard, you WILL get into dental school. worst case scenario is it won't be the 'typical' path or timeline as others, but this doesn't matter in the long run. just try to look at the big picture and stay calm. you have done everything you can so freaking out will only hurt you. be proud of the work you've done and try to show the exam what you got :) go in with confidence and good luck!! i'm there with you

The last week before my DAT exam I was just having fun and eating out everyday to keep myself sane.

Hi @swindoll, do you have a breakdown? If you don't, could you tell us how you prepared for this test?

Hey! No, I didn't do breakdown because fall semester started two days after I took my test, so I basically had no time with all the shopping/class registration/packing I had to do.

My schedule was inspired by @Glimmer1991's breakdown. Read it! She's awesome! That's pretty much what I tried to do, with some minor changes.

Good luck!

Hey! No, I didn't do breakdown because fall semester started two days after I took my test, so I basically had no time with all the shopping/class registration/packing I had to do.

My schedule was inspired by @Glimmer1991's breakdown. Read it! She's awesome! That's pretty much what I tried to do, with some minor changes.

Good luck!

I looked at Glimmer breakdown It is great! @gig1dent it would give you a lot of good tips!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with all the above posters. At this point, not much you can do. Ultimately, nerves will only hurt, not help - so try not to worry about it and be confident in the studying you've done. Use this time to review and make sure you're well rested

Don't see the practice tests as failures if you got questions wrong. Just look at them as learning guides. The possibility of seeing that same exact question is extremely low so just figure out what you did wrong and move on from it. I tried to keep that sort of mentality later because I was also on the same boat as you and then realized that it was only hurting me and my confidence.

Good luck! :)

Don't see the practice tests as failures if you got questions wrong. Just look at them as learning guides. The possibility of seeing that same exact question is extremely low so just figure out what you did wrong and move on from it. I tried to keep that sort of mentality later because I was also on the same boat as you and then realized that it was only hurting me and my confidence.

Good luck! :)
Very well stated Synthiac!

Do not put so much faith and focus on timed test, your time is better spent learning the material.

Hope you don't mind if I quote you again.

"The possibility of seeing that same exact question is extremely low so just figure out what you did wrong and move on from it." synthiac

Reactions: 1 users
I'm very thankful to all the encouragement and great advise everyone has been giving me! I'm glad I found this amazing community of SDN. Thank you all :happy:

Last edited: