USMLE Freaking Out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacarthic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know that most people feel horrible walking out of Step 3 especially the first day, but both my days were horrible. Two of my patients on CCS kept saying they weren't getting better and the cases ended. I wanted to cry when I left that day. Has this happened to anyone else and they passed. I wanted to do well but at this point I really just want to pass.

USMLE Step 3 Qbank: 70% First time avg.
UWorld SSA: 202
NBME 4: 400

I am terrified I am going to fail, esp since most people said their second day wasn't bad. Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Well I thought for sure I failed (and actually talked to my PD about how I should schedule my PGY2 year because I knew I had to retake it). Day 1 wasn't so bad for me although I still felt like I was guessing a lot. I thought Day 2 multiple choice was brutal and not kidding I was guessing on 60% of questions on each block. On CCS I actually forgot to put a diagnosis in for one, and 3 of the patients I had no clue what to do and I'm pretty sure one died. The rest of the cases I felt pretty good about but still screwing up 3 cases is pretty significant and add in tanking day 2 MCQ I was expecting a score in the high 180's-low 190's.

Anyway much to my amazement I ended up scoring 222 (and my UW average was much lower than your's - 57%). I had to double check my score because I could not believe I could score that high based on how much guessing I did.

At the end of the day there is absolutely no way to tell how well you did based on how you feel because most of us feel like we failed! With such a good UW % though I think the chances of you passing are extremely high. Worst part about us in the medical field is we tend to only remember the things we did wrong even if we did the majority of them right. XD

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone feels horrible about it, that's what the test is designed to do. God knows I wondered if I passed for the whole month until I got my score back and found out I passed.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Well I thought for sure I failed (and actually talked to my PD about how I should schedule my PGY2 year because I knew I had to retake it). Day 1 wasn't so bad for me although I still felt like I was guessing a lot. I thought Day 2 multiple choice was brutal and not kidding I was guessing on 60% of questions on each block. On CCS I actually forgot to put a diagnosis in for one, and 3 of the patients I had no clue what to do and I'm pretty sure one died. The rest of the cases I felt pretty good about but still screwing up 3 cases is pretty significant and add in tanking day 2 MCQ I was expecting a score in the high 180's-low 190's.

Anyway much to my amazement I ended up scoring 222 (and my UW average was much lower than your's - 57%). I had to double check my score because I could not believe I could score that high based on how much guessing I did.

At the end of the day there is absolutely no way to tell how well you did based on how you feel because most of us feel like we failed! With such a good UW % though I think the chances of you passing are extremely high. Worst part about us in the medical field is we tend to only remember the things we did wrong even if we did the majority of them right. XD

Wow, talked to you PD about it? What did they say. Seems a little premature.