Free glasses for optometry students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clovers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if optometry schools give their optometry students free eye exams and glasses? Just wondering..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if optometry schools give their optometry students free eye exams and glasses? Just wondering..
At SUNY, eye exams are free, and frames/lenses are discounted 42% for students and their immediate families (mom, dad, husband/wife, children). Some contact lenses are free, depending on the current agreement with the contact lens distributors.

At SUNY, eye exams are free, and frames/lenses are discounted 42% for students and their immediate families (mom, dad, husband/wife, children). Some contact lenses are free, depending on the current agreement with the contact lens distributors.

@r_salis

are the prices of the glasses at SUNY elevated to compensate for the 42% student discount? I'm interested to know because I want to buy myself a second pair. :) thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i was at PCO they said contacts are free and discount on glasses

At UHCO the exams are free, SOME of the contacts are free (depends on the company's policy) and theres a HUGE discount on glasses. (20-50% off COST depending on the company)

Here (UMSL), annual eye exams are free, glasses are 50% off, and contact lenses are 20% off (this goes for all UMSL students)

Contact lens fits are at a discount, but most optometry students get them for free with vouchers since students have to have a certain number of CL encounters for clinical experience. Most of us get our contact lenses free too, depending on the company (like cpw said).

Historically, 3rd year optometry students have gotten free specs from a local optical company (they want our future business). I'm not sure when this is supposed to happen now that I'm a 3rd year...still waiting. :)

when i was at PCO they said contacts are free and discount on glasses

Yup, discount on glasses and lenses. Free eye exams. Apparently ortho-k is free too because a friend of mine is testing it out.

@r_salis

are the prices of the glasses at SUNY elevated to compensate for the 42% student discount? I'm interested to know because I want to buy myself a second pair. :) thanks.

I think the frame prices are pretty reasonable, so the 42% off is a good deal. (UHCO's discount off of cost is *amazing*, though, cpw!). You also get 42% off lenses and coatings, which is a really good deal.

At UHCO the exams are free, SOME of the contacts are free (depends on the company's policy) and theres a HUGE discount on glasses. (20-50% off COST depending on the company)

Oh.. I am soooo jealous. :p Huge discounts off cost would make it so easier to work towards my goal of a pair of glasses for every day of the week!

At Pacific, we get year's supply of contacts free with some brands, six months free with others, and if you wear Acuvue Oasys like me... 3 months free. :mad: (You can still purchase more at cost.) You have to try a different brand every year.

1st and 2nd years get frames at cost plus $10, and cost on lenses. 3rd and 4th years get one complete pair free each year.

P.S. PGE'S 500TH POST!!!:D :D :D

At SCCO, we get free yearly eye exams and a year's supply of contact lenses too. I'm not sure about the glasses discount though...

at pco, i was told they have contracts w.7 contact lens companies and each gives the students a years worth free. i dont wear contact lens either, but colors are fun to play with on yourself esp. if you need someone to practice on.

Anyone know what Indiana's policy is?

ICO does the free exams and free contacts from select companies. They also offer free VT and other clinical services for students. Frames and lenses I believe are 40% off in-house for students (there are discounts for family too!). There are also group-sponsored sales during the year where we get huge discounts on frames.

At SCCO, we get free yearly eye exams and a year's supply of contact lenses too. I'm not sure about the glasses discount though...

40% discount on frames and materials that are inflated to 3.5x cost. Not exactly the way to have students wear in house eyewear to promote the product to patients.

contacts: B&L u get a half year supply that u can refill. CIBA and Cooper are 1 yr. Vistakon is one box.

exams are free.