1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Free glasses for optometry students?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Clovers, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Clovers

Clovers Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if optometry schools give their optometry students free eye exams and glasses? Just wondering..

2. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    At SUNY, eye exams are free, and frames/lenses are discounted 42% for students and their immediate families (mom, dad, husband/wife, children). Some contact lenses are free, depending on the current agreement with the contact lens distributors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. luckyfool

luckyfool SUNY Opt
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    @r_salis

are the prices of the glasses at SUNY elevated to compensate for the 42% student discount? I'm interested to know because I want to buy myself a second pair. :) thanks.

4. chrissystar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    when i was at PCO they said contacts are free and discount on glasses

5. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!

Optometrist
    At UHCO the exams are free, SOME of the contacts are free (depends on the company's policy) and theres a HUGE discount on glasses. (20-50% off COST depending on the company)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 4Eyes

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Here (UMSL), annual eye exams are free, glasses are 50% off, and contact lenses are 20% off (this goes for all UMSL students)

Contact lens fits are at a discount, but most optometry students get them for free with vouchers since students have to have a certain number of CL encounters for clinical experience. Most of us get our contact lenses free too, depending on the company (like cpw said).

Historically, 3rd year optometry students have gotten free specs from a local optical company (they want our future business). I'm not sure when this is supposed to happen now that I'm a 3rd year...still waiting. :)

7. ML1983

ML1983 PCO Class of 2010
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student

Yup, discount on glasses and lenses. Free eye exams. Apparently ortho-k is free too because a friend of mine is testing it out.

8. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope

Optometrist
    I think the frame prices are pretty reasonable, so the 42% off is a good deal. (UHCO's discount off of cost is *amazing*, though, cpw!). You also get 42% off lenses and coatings, which is a really good deal.

9. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Oh.. I am soooo jealous. :p Huge discounts off cost would make it so easier to work towards my goal of a pair of glasses for every day of the week!

At Pacific, we get year's supply of contacts free with some brands, six months free with others, and if you wear Acuvue Oasys like me... 3 months free. :mad: (You can still purchase more at cost.) You have to try a different brand every year.

1st and 2nd years get frames at cost plus $10, and cost on lenses. 3rd and 4th years get one complete pair free each year.

P.S. PGE'S 500TH POST!!!:D :D :D

10. alferec

alferec Future Army OD
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    At SCCO, we get free yearly eye exams and a year's supply of contact lenses too. I'm not sure about the glasses discount though...

11. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

I don't wear contacts though :(

12. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008
    2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    So start.. they're free =)

Come on.. everyone's doing it...

13. jMoo

jMoo New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    at pco, i was told they have contracts w.7 contact lens companies and each gives the students a years worth free. i dont wear contact lens either, but colors are fun to play with on yourself esp. if you need someone to practice on.

14. iowaeyes

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Anyone know what Indiana's policy is?

15. in_translation

10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    ICO does the free exams and free contacts from select companies. They also offer free VT and other clinical services for students. Frames and lenses I believe are 40% off in-house for students (there are discounts for family too!). There are also group-sponsored sales during the year where we get huge discounts on frames.

16. heretic

heretic Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    40% discount on frames and materials that are inflated to 3.5x cost. Not exactly the way to have students wear in house eyewear to promote the product to patients.

contacts: B&L u get a half year supply that u can refill. CIBA and Cooper are 1 yr. Vistakon is one box.

exams are free.