Free LASIK in grad school?

Started by daryts09
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

daryts09

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok the optometrist that I work for got free lasik surgery in grad school for volunteering to be a guinea pig for the procedure -- is that common? I really want to get it done, but should I wait until I'm in grad school for the chance to get it done for free??

Thanks!!!

Tara
 
daryts09 said:
Ok the optometrist that I work for got free lasik surgery in grad school for volunteering to be a guinea pig for the procedure -- is that common? I really want to get it done, but should I wait until I'm in grad school for the chance to get it done for free??

Thanks!!!

Tara
I had to pay $100 per eye with I was in optometry school as long as I wrote a testimonial. That was in 1997. My local laser center will do the procedure for free on any OD and their staff members.
 
If you co-manage with someone you can usually get the procedure done for free. I've been offered LASIK two or three times, but I'm not a candidate. My first offer was back in 2000 before I went back to school and worked for an OD in CA... we co-managed with him so much he offered free LASIK to anyone in our office that wanted it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A lot of 4 yr extern sites will give the students free lasik as they pass through.
 
Just curious... how long does your prescription need to be stable in order to be a candidate for LASIK? I've had almost the exact prescription for about 3 years... and I'm 23. Too soon? Good to know that I may be able to get it for free sometime in the future! The price has come down alot... but $2000/eye is pricey!
 
prettygreeneyes said:
Just curious... how long does your prescription need to be stable in order to be a candidate for LASIK? I've had almost the exact prescription for about 3 years... and I'm 23. Too soon? Good to know that I may be able to get it for free sometime in the future! The price has come down alot... but $2000/eye is pricey!
3 years of stability is plenty. Typically we look for one year.