Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good Morning everyone, Im new here so please bear with me. Before I get into my questions, let me give a run down on where I come from.
I am a twenty-five year-old Asian American Post-Bachelorette in Health Science and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (pre med) degree from Mercy College, NY. I have worked in the field of healthcare for several years prior to and since college. I have a been a Clinical Practice Manager (4 Years), Wound Care Specialist (2 Years), and even maintain a Certification as a Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician (since age 18, 7 years).
Of all my years, my fondest moments were treating my patients and making a difference in their lives as an EMT and Wound Care Specialist. Three years ago, I decided to start making headway into my personal life goals, and change avenues into public healthcare by changing employers and moving to Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, a mid-level 235 bed medical center located 20 miles north of New York City.
Since I was young, I have always wanted to be involved in something larger then myself, and make a difference in lives from a larger aspect then most understand. I know however, that goals like these cannot be achieved so by standing still. After working my way into Phelps, I was recently given the opportunity to move into upper administration as a Sr. Quality Analyst reporting to the CMO, CEO, and VP of Quality and Risk Management. As it stands, I am currently now responsible for much of the rules and regulations for the Clinical aspects of the hospital and its day to day operations, including physician analysis, peer reviews, core measures, and risk management. I am a Performance Improvement Council Chair, Stroke Coordinator for our Stroke Center, and Cancer Center Analyst. In addition, my work also includes reporting and associating with the New York State Department of Health, National Institutes of Health, and The Joint Commission.
Nonetheless even after moving into administration, as you can probably tell from my background, I have longed to be a clinician who works hands on with his patients. My goal is that I be involved on both the administrative policy aspect of patient care, as well as true hands on, personable, and acute treatment of each and every single one of my patients. So I have now decided to go back and move on to medical school.
Here is my dilemma. It has been 3 years since I graduated pre med. Being a Health Science Major I have taken: A&P1&2, Biology 1&2, Chem 1&2, Microbiology 1, Organic Chem 1, Physics 1&2, Statistics, and Psychology. Additionally, my institution had offered 500 level Anatomy with Cadaver and a separate 500 lvl Physiology with cadaver which I had taken and obtained a B average. My final overall GPA is a 3.1 on a 4.0 scale. However my science GPA is a 2.9 due to my first semester after changing majors into Pre Med.
My biggest issue is my MCAT score. Not only is it 3 years old, but I scored terrible on it (less then 20). I do plan to retake it after I take a refresher course and a prep course, but I worry that my educational background is too low for acceptance into medical school locally. So heres the issue: My father graduated from the National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan with a PhD. Currently it is one of the most prestigious Universities in Taiwan, and since my father is an alumnus, they are offering me 100% free education minus room and board (which I would live with my family anyway). From what I am told, the Taiwan Education department Mirrors their medical program from US standards, and is even taught in English. I wanted to go there for med school, and come back for a residency. My question is what do you guys think about me going this route? And if it is feasible, which specialization should I pursue (I want to do Family Medicine, General Surgery, Emergency Medicine, or Neurology) that is easier to get into residency here in America.
Or am I just blowing hot air, and should stay here and deal with it.
Thanks for all your help.
I am a twenty-five year-old Asian American Post-Bachelorette in Health Science and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (pre med) degree from Mercy College, NY. I have worked in the field of healthcare for several years prior to and since college. I have a been a Clinical Practice Manager (4 Years), Wound Care Specialist (2 Years), and even maintain a Certification as a Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician (since age 18, 7 years).
Of all my years, my fondest moments were treating my patients and making a difference in their lives as an EMT and Wound Care Specialist. Three years ago, I decided to start making headway into my personal life goals, and change avenues into public healthcare by changing employers and moving to Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, a mid-level 235 bed medical center located 20 miles north of New York City.
Since I was young, I have always wanted to be involved in something larger then myself, and make a difference in lives from a larger aspect then most understand. I know however, that goals like these cannot be achieved so by standing still. After working my way into Phelps, I was recently given the opportunity to move into upper administration as a Sr. Quality Analyst reporting to the CMO, CEO, and VP of Quality and Risk Management. As it stands, I am currently now responsible for much of the rules and regulations for the Clinical aspects of the hospital and its day to day operations, including physician analysis, peer reviews, core measures, and risk management. I am a Performance Improvement Council Chair, Stroke Coordinator for our Stroke Center, and Cancer Center Analyst. In addition, my work also includes reporting and associating with the New York State Department of Health, National Institutes of Health, and The Joint Commission.
Nonetheless even after moving into administration, as you can probably tell from my background, I have longed to be a clinician who works hands on with his patients. My goal is that I be involved on both the administrative policy aspect of patient care, as well as true hands on, personable, and acute treatment of each and every single one of my patients. So I have now decided to go back and move on to medical school.
Here is my dilemma. It has been 3 years since I graduated pre med. Being a Health Science Major I have taken: A&P1&2, Biology 1&2, Chem 1&2, Microbiology 1, Organic Chem 1, Physics 1&2, Statistics, and Psychology. Additionally, my institution had offered 500 level Anatomy with Cadaver and a separate 500 lvl Physiology with cadaver which I had taken and obtained a B average. My final overall GPA is a 3.1 on a 4.0 scale. However my science GPA is a 2.9 due to my first semester after changing majors into Pre Med.
My biggest issue is my MCAT score. Not only is it 3 years old, but I scored terrible on it (less then 20). I do plan to retake it after I take a refresher course and a prep course, but I worry that my educational background is too low for acceptance into medical school locally. So heres the issue: My father graduated from the National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan with a PhD. Currently it is one of the most prestigious Universities in Taiwan, and since my father is an alumnus, they are offering me 100% free education minus room and board (which I would live with my family anyway). From what I am told, the Taiwan Education department Mirrors their medical program from US standards, and is even taught in English. I wanted to go there for med school, and come back for a residency. My question is what do you guys think about me going this route? And if it is feasible, which specialization should I pursue (I want to do Family Medicine, General Surgery, Emergency Medicine, or Neurology) that is easier to get into residency here in America.
Or am I just blowing hot air, and should stay here and deal with it.
Thanks for all your help.