Free Medical Education Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CW3469

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying using this website "Medical Education Online."

http://medicaleducationonline.s3-web....com/home.html

It's a free wards review site created by a physician, specifically for MS3 and MS4 students. It can also be used for Step 2 CK. He has posted lecture videos for Internal Medicine and Surgery. I think it's pretty legit and helpful. Actually, some of the lectures I think are outstanding.

I was just wondering: has anyone else has used it? What's your opinion its usefulness? Does anyone know when he'll finish the OB/GYN and Pediatrics videos?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've gone through the cards, pulmonary and GI vids and they're great. I'd highly recommend them. I have no idea when all the other videos are coming out. It's a work in progress. Great resource and high-yield.

The main page link is: onlinemeded.org.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the links.

I know that we're all looking for some resources that we can gather to learn and this would be helpful for us to gain some advantage on the medical learning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links.

I know that we're all looking for some resources that we can gather to learn and this would be helpful for us to gain some advantage on the medical learning.

They just added 15 new videos for Gyn and about 8 more surgery videos.

www.****************

Last edited:
They just added 15 new videos for Gyn and about 8 more surgery videos.

www.onlinemeded.org

Are these lectures detailed enough?
For example, in the Derm Bullous Disorders lecture there is nothing about the Ab targets in pemphigus vulgaris or explanation of why you see "tombstoning."
Maybe the derm section is a bit too shallow. I haven't gone through others much yet.

For example, in the Derm Bullous Disorders lecture there is nothing about the Ab targets in pemphigus vulgaris or explanation of why you see "tombstoning."
Maybe the derm section is a bit too shallow. I haven't gone through others much yet.

While I don't know much about the scope of Step 2 CK, but wouldn't the antibody targets in bullous skin disease be more of a Step 1 concept?

Uh,,, I just watched that video and it actually explains of all that...

No it doesn't explain tombstoning, but that's a step 1 concept anyways. His algorithms have in green and red what u need to know for step 2-management and treatment. Focus on that.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I've been using this site and I must say I'm really impressed with it. The only problem I had with it was that he spoke too slow but I found a way to download them with an extension and now I just watch it usually at 1.7x with VLC. The guy's legit! Can't complaint!

I've been using this site and I must say I'm really impressed with it. The only problem I had with it was that he spoke too slow but I found a way to download them with an extension and now I just watch it usually at 1.7x with VLC. The guy's legit! Can't complaint!

How do you download them with an extension? My Internet connection is really slow and it keeps buffering every 5 seconds. I'd love to download and watch them with VLC.

Why has SDN started to star out the website name/links?

I've been studying using this website "Medical Education Online."

http://medicaleducationonline.s3-web....com/home.html

It's a free wards review site created by a physician, specifically for MS3 and MS4 students. It can also be used for Step 2 CK. He has posted lecture videos for Internal Medicine and Surgery. I think it's pretty legit and helpful. Actually, some of the lectures I think are outstanding.

I was just wondering: has anyone else has used it? What's your opinion its usefulness? Does anyone know when he'll finish the OB/GYN and Pediatrics videos?

Thanks!

Has anyone else been using it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else been using it?

I use it in addition to my other "usual" resources.

I've found that it's very good for general pimp questions, but not that great for a lot of the in-depth USMLEWorld questions.

I will donate at the end of the year, however. It has been helpful.

Anyone found it useful for surgery shelf?

if someone could somehow teach a technologically ******ed person (i.e. ME) how to download those videos to make them faster, it would be VERY much appreciated.

BTW, I am not an apple dude - I use Windows 7. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

i hope someone replies soon!

I'm taking the shelf in a week. I'm almost done with all the videos and took notes. I'm using other resources too, but I'll let u guys know how useful I found the site after my exam/score..

What other resources are you using? Please let us know later about the site too. Thanks!

if someone could somehow teach a technologically ******ed person (i.e. ME) how to download those videos to make them faster, it would be VERY much appreciated.

BTW, I am not an apple dude - I use Windows 7. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Instructions for Chrome:

Open Chrome
In the top RIGHT corner (under the 'X' button), there is a button with 3 parallel horizontal lines.
Click that button, a list of Chrome options will pop up
Click Tools
Click Extensions
Go to the bottom of the Extensions page
Click 'Get More Extensions'
Search for 'FVD Video Downloader'
Install it. An icon of a downward-pointing arrow should show up between the URL bar and the Settings icon

Load the video you want to download
Press 'Play' (if the video won't play, this won't work)
Click on the FVD Downloader icon
One of the items it lists will be your video.
Download it
Play it in whichever program you prefer!!

Nice job, guys. He shut the website down for a while. It wasn't enough to have an awesome free resource?

Nice job, guys. He shut the website down for a while. It wasn't enough to have an awesome free resource?

Yeah, I got on the website and saw this. I was just watching some of the videos yesterday! I never even thought of downloading them. Don't even know how. It sucks that people messed this up for the rest of us. Dustyn should just make it not free. I'd be willing to pay a small amount to have access to the videos. Also, maybe there is a way he can figure out how to stop people from downloading them. Why would anyone need to download them anyway? There is usually an internet connection somewhere where you can stream it.

Blame this guy.....

What happened to the site?

His post has changed now, but earlier today it said people were downloading videos instead of streaming them and it was costing them a lot of money. The message said they were shutting down but hopefully for only a week to try and figure things out.

Here is the message that's up now:

We're in the process of upgrading. We're going to reduce costs by going overto You Tube hosting. We're also turning up the quality: 720p HD videos.

Its all going to still be totally free.

We'll be back. Soon. I Promise.
Dustyn

His post has changed now, but earlier today it said people were downloading videos instead of streaming them and it was costing them a lot of money. The message said they were shutting down but hopefully for only a week to try and figure things out.

Here is the message that's up now:

We're in the process of upgrading. We're going to reduce costs by going overto You Tube hosting. We're also turning up the quality: 720p HD videos.

Its all going to still be totally free.

We'll be back. Soon. I Promise.
Dustyn

I'm super sorry; I had no idea that downloading was problematic for the site. I actually don't download them myself (it'd be slightly premature for a premed, lol) but I probably would've done so if I were in med school, so...apologies. :oops:

I would never have suspected that downloading would be expensive for them to maintain; I have no idea how webhosting works. I imagine that's true for most people who download the vids...downloading just seems like one of the great advantages of finding a free site - most free sites don't lock their vids, and downloading is ideal if you have crappy internet like I do here, or if you want to watch them at a different speed/not on a computer/just listen

Last edited:
I'm super sorry; I had no idea that downloading was problematic for the site. I actually don't download them myself (it'd be slightly premature for a premed, lol) but I probably would've done so if I were in med school, so...apologies. :oops:

I would never have suspected that downloading would be expensive for them to maintain; I have no idea how webhosting works. I imagine that's true for most people who download the vids...downloading just seems like one of the great advantages of finding a free site - most free sites don't lock their vids, and downloading is ideal if you have crappy internet like I do here, or if you want to watch them at a different speed/not on a computer/just listen

Doesn't matter. Its back up. Looking great (the same)

Anyone finding value for for the questions and explanations on their Facebook site? I few of my students have mentioned that like the videos, and others are asking what they should study.
Worth recommending? Anyone get their surgery shelf scores back yet after using this?

Anyone finding value for for the questions and explanations on their Facebook site? I few of my students have mentioned that like the videos, and others are asking what they should study.
Worth recommending? Anyone get their surgery shelf scores back yet after using this?

It seems like it's very practical knowledge. I don't know how much it helps with shelf-type questions, although, I'm not sure exactly how to prepare for the shelf exams. It's fantastic for pimp questions and management questions pertaining to real patients. I've impressed quite a few attendings just because of information that I've gained from his website. He also presents it in a way that is easy to understand and remember.

I'd recommend the vids for good baseline knowledge. Hard to tell if they help specifically for shelfs, but I got honors in surgery using these as a supplement to other popular resources. They really help at the start of a rotation when you need a good overview of the major topics you need to know about.

Love the new site design. Also happy the videos are on YouTube because it works well on an IPAD.

yeah bump for the amazing site. I highly highly highly recommend for MS3s and MS4s, especially if you are doing IM or will be doing IM rotations to any extent your intern year.

Coming from a 4th year student who did extremely well on CK and passed CS, I think it is the most useful for clinical rotations while you are working. It puts things into that sort of context which will help you remember it more. I still suggest reading more books on your own for the shelf and CK. Personally I'm going to go through all of this before I start intern year (IM).

Bump because this question was asked way back when -
Pediatrics videos are supposed to be up this month.

Nice find. Very useful

Has anyone donated yet ?

Interesting - my med students are reporting good results on the surgery shelf using the surg videos in conjunction with questions. Still haven't gotten around to look at more than one myself and not sure if these are students who would have done well anyway - but sounds promising. I do have to roll my eyes when I ask a pimping question that I don't expect a well-articulated answer to, and I get, "On the videos, he says...xyz" and its exactly what I was thinking.
In any event, they're all excited for step 2 studying (seriously??!) because pediatrics is available now so at least I guess it holds their attention if nothing else. Curious to see how others are doing on shelf exams for other clerkships...

Agree with above, can someone attest to how helpful online medical education is for prepping for shelves or for answering pimp questions?

i used MedEd + UWorld questions for the surgery and neurology shelf and got high sat on both, thought it was worthwhile

yay, just what I needed - more secondary resources I'll never have the time to complete.

Anyone who has used these MEO videos, can you comment on how useful you think they are for Step 2 CK?

Are these helpful with just the audio, or is the video an essential part? Was thinking of extracting and downloading the audio to play during workouts

Agree with above, can someone attest to how helpful online medical education is for prepping for shelves or for answering pimp questions?

The videos really helped out with pimping questions and general knowledge for the wards. The heart murmur video in particular made me look like some sort of evil genius on my cardiology elective when the fellow went on a tirade of pimping. He finally stopped as I was able to regurgitate the info from the video I had watched the night before. They didn't help me that much on the shelf exams.
Source: 4th year med student taking a year off for a research fellowship.

Since this thread has already been bumped, does anyone know why OveractiveBrain was banned? Was it because he kept talking about onlinemeded when SDN kept filtering it? He was a good poster... It always saddens me to see the line through his name.

So the consensus is that these videos are good for general knowledge for the wards?