Free online knowledge assessment tools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAClinician

Masters level clinician
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone, especially those who have been in a trainer role, could recommend a free online tool that allows you to create your own knowledge assessments? I work in a CMHC setting so I don’t have access to Blackboard, Moodle, or other online/hybrid academic course set-ups that integrate online tests/quizzes/assessments etc. The program I primarily work In has a lot of information thrown at new hires in the first month which has resulted in recent more frequent turnover of staff. I’d like to provide some ideas to my supervisor to improve the training of new staff, including different ways to assess what they are understanding. I’m not referring to psych assessment but more of a “knowledge check” of what the job requires and all the interrelated systems we work with. My program uses both masters level and bachelors level hires. Some of the BA folks have not worked in mental health/social services field before and are unfamiliar with services etc. I did google and there were several lists of online quiz makers that popped up, but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience using any or recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

You can make your own quiz in google forms

We use Google for gmail and calendar. I just checked and apparently Google forms is there too. Thanks for the suggestion. Have you personally used it for training purposes and if you did, what did you like/dislike? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Google forms isn't ferpa compliant AFAIK, if you're planning this to be graded and not just self-test quizzes.

Div 2 (teaching) has a ton of resources on class materials.

This is not for a course or academic credit so FERPA is not an issue for me. I am in a community mental health clinic setting, that interacts with MH, CPS, JUvenile courts, and schools along with other community support. It is for self-test but some might get shared with the supervisor to target areas to review again. In my CAGS program we used blackboard and I was familiar with the online tests that could be developed. I’m looking for something similar but not in an academic setting. One of my professors also used kahoot but I think that is a paid program. Thank you for the link! I will see if there are others that might be helpful.