Free points on the MCAT?!! *not 4-1*

Started by premyo2002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premyo2002

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My PR instructor said that the way they test new questions (usually indiv.) is by putting them on the mcat. So, he said if you come across a hard arse problem, it MAY be a test-out problem. In which case you would get credit regardless of your answer.

Anyone else heard this?? or was he blowing smoke up our tailpipes?
 
I haven't heard of that. I hope it isn't true, actually. I would hate to waste precious time on a problem that doesn't count. 🙂
 
I haven't heard of that. I hope it isn't true, actually. I would hate to waste precious time on a problem that doesn't count.
well, as far as truth goes, they definately have trial passages and questions, but i'm afraid i can't corroborate premyo2002's account of how they're scored. i'll ask my TPR instructors to get some more feedback.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are experimental passages (one in each section on each form) but they are not scored. Forget the free points idea.
 
I don't think that they would waste an entire passage. It's more like a "freebie" individual question but there is no way to know which question it is. We should attack every problem like it counts, that is why they're using the mcat to pose experimental questions. they want to see how a type of question scales up.
Also, I'm trying to look on the upside of things, so this could be a good thing. The mcat is "curved", but this curve is pretty much set before we take the exam: look at the aamc breakdowns-they're similar. Therefore, if you average 69 questions right on diags, assuming you miss the experimental, you get a 70... that could boast your score up a point:clap:
Im just sayin'... it could happen
 
Originally posted by MeowMix
There are experimental passages (one in each section on each form) but they are not scored. Forget the free points idea.
than wouldn't the number of questions be more than 77? or 60 on verbal?
 
Originally posted by premyo2002
than wouldn't the number of questions be more than 77? or 60 on verbal?

I also have a hard time believing this rumor. Does anyone have any good evidence besides, "i heard it from a friend, who heard it from his dad's uncle's dog, who heard it from this bum who had a sister who was in the hospital who once dated a guy from a TPR course" ?
 
Hey I inadvertantly found the answer to my own question while looking for something else...

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#questions
Very bottom of the page:

"How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT. "