Free points on the MCAT?!! *not 4-1*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premyo2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PR instructor said that the way they test new questions (usually indiv.) is by putting them on the mcat. So, he said if you come across a hard arse problem, it MAY be a test-out problem. In which case you would get credit regardless of your answer.

Anyone else heard this?? or was he blowing smoke up our tailpipes?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard of that. I hope it isn't true, actually. I would hate to waste precious time on a problem that doesn't count. :)

I haven't heard of that. I hope it isn't true, actually. I would hate to waste precious time on a problem that doesn't count.
well, as far as truth goes, they definately have trial passages and questions, but i'm afraid i can't corroborate premyo2002's account of how they're scored. i'll ask my TPR instructors to get some more feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are experimental passages (one in each section on each form) but they are not scored. Forget the free points idea.

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
What if you mistake a real passage for a experimental one?

Don't assume that any are experimental. Attack each passage like it is going to be scored.

Originally posted by UCLAstudent
Don't assume that any are experimental. Attack each passage like it is going to be scored.

I second that...... there are experimental questions and even experimental sections on tests like GRE and LSAT but there is no way of knowing which ones are those, so attack each question as it were the the real deal..........

I don't think that they would waste an entire passage. It's more like a "freebie" individual question but there is no way to know which question it is. We should attack every problem like it counts, that is why they're using the mcat to pose experimental questions. they want to see how a type of question scales up.
Also, I'm trying to look on the upside of things, so this could be a good thing. The mcat is "curved", but this curve is pretty much set before we take the exam: look at the aamc breakdowns-they're similar. Therefore, if you average 69 questions right on diags, assuming you miss the experimental, you get a 70... that could boast your score up a point:clap:
Im just sayin'... it could happen

Originally posted by MeowMix
There are experimental passages (one in each section on each form) but they are not scored. Forget the free points idea.
than wouldn't the number of questions be more than 77? or 60 on verbal?

Originally posted by premyo2002
than wouldn't the number of questions be more than 77? or 60 on verbal?

I also have a hard time believing this rumor. Does anyone have any good evidence besides, "i heard it from a friend, who heard it from his dad's uncle's dog, who heard it from this bum who had a sister who was in the hospital who once dated a guy from a TPR course" ?

Hey I inadvertantly found the answer to my own question while looking for something else...

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#questions
Very bottom of the page:

"How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT. "