1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Free points on the MCAT?!! *not 4-1*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by premyo2002, Apr 2, 2004.

1. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

My PR instructor said that the way they test new questions (usually indiv.) is by putting them on the mcat. So, he said if you come across a hard arse problem, it MAY be a test-out problem. In which case you would get credit regardless of your answer.

Anyone else heard this?? or was he blowing smoke up our tailpipes?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Nothing of this sort uttered at kaplan ........... it might be true though.... but if everyone is getting credit then the curve will take care of it...... so don't worry and prepare well :)

4. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I haven't heard of that. I hope it isn't true, actually. I would hate to waste precious time on a problem that doesn't count. :)

5. superdevil

superdevil planning my escape
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well, as far as truth goes, they definately have trial passages and questions, but i'm afraid i can't corroborate premyo2002's account of how they're scored. i'll ask my TPR instructors to get some more feedback.

6. MeowMix

MeowMix Explaining "Post-Call"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are experimental passages (one in each section on each form) but they are not scored. Forget the free points idea.

7. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What if you mistake a real passage for a experimental one?

8. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't assume that any are experimental. Attack each passage like it is going to be scored.

9. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I second that...... there are experimental questions and even experimental sections on tests like GRE and LSAT but there is no way of knowing which ones are those, so attack each question as it were the the real deal..........

10. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

I don't think that they would waste an entire passage. It's more like a "freebie" individual question but there is no way to know which question it is. We should attack every problem like it counts, that is why they're using the mcat to pose experimental questions. they want to see how a type of question scales up.
    Also, I'm trying to look on the upside of things, so this could be a good thing. The mcat is "curved", but this curve is pretty much set before we take the exam: look at the aamc breakdowns-they're similar. Therefore, if you average 69 questions right on diags, assuming you miss the experimental, you get a 70... that could boast your score up a point:clap:
    Im just sayin'... it could happen

11. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

than wouldn't the number of questions be more than 77? or 60 on verbal?

12. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also have a hard time believing this rumor. Does anyone have any good evidence besides, "i heard it from a friend, who heard it from his dad's uncle's dog, who heard it from this bum who had a sister who was in the hospital who once dated a guy from a TPR course" ?

13. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey I inadvertantly found the answer to my own question while looking for something else...

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#questions
    Very bottom of the page:

"How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT. "