Free Time In Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeOutHereWaiting

Reaction score
Hello all,

This question is mainly for current medical students, but anyone with insights is welcome to share. I am in my gap year and in the application cycle (hopefully matriculating in Fall 2023) and have some free time. I know the general advice is to not prestudy for medical school or anything and just enjoy life before medical school starts. I have planned many trips (international and local) for the coming months and am enjoying catching up with old hobbies that were abandoned during undergrad. However, I still have about 10-15 hours a week that I want to put towards something useful. Possible things I can think of are:

1) Learning anatomy: I have never taken anatomy and I have seen on medical school forums that people wish they had taken it before bc they get fu*ked when trying to learn for the first time at the pace of school
2) Learning a coding language: specifically, one that can help with research such as R or even something as multifunctional as python. I know it is more than possible to do research in medical school without knowing these languages (most schools have a stats department + you can always do research that doesn't need that kind of data analysis) do you guys think it is worth the effort?
3) Learn Spanish: I don't speak the language and not only can it help with travel and cultural development, but also perhaps a plus for residencies in Cali
4) any recommendation you have that I can't think of

@current Med Students: If you could go back in time to 10 months before your first year, what do you wish you would have done?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Im in your situation where I will matriculate next year in 2023. I got an acceptance early which was a relief, but then I felt like I had all this time before school starts. Im currently working, but I plan on traveling a little before I start school.

From my conversations with med students most of them do not study and just choose to relax instead. If you are interested in coding I would do that. I wouldn’t learn Spanish unless you are specifically interested in using it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I started getting better at/relearning Spanish personally!! I also am thinking about taking a formal anatomy class in the spring :)

I started getting better at/relearning Spanish personally!! I also am thinking about taking a formal anatomy class in the spring :)
There is really nothing that can prepare you for anatomy as taught in medical school...

Do whatever you want as long as it doesn’t stress you out. You don’t need to prepare for med school, you just spent 4+ years doing that. I’m finishing residency this year and there’s nothing I value more than having unencumbered free time.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi OP. Definitely skip any medical school studying! But there are 2 things in that list that I love.

1) Learning spanish - would be amazingly helpful in medical school, you career, and life! Working through an interpreter is a pain and often puts an artificial barrier between you and your patient.

2) Learning coding. I was able to do a bunch of research in medical school since I knew how to use SPSS and Excel before matriculating. This is a rare talent among medical students and makes you much more desirable to work with. Also - once you get a good relationship with a PI, you can often do you own analysis based on your own idea. Makes for great research experience and an even better LOR for residency.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users