Freezing point depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryan85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On one of the Kaplan G Chem subject tests, on question 27, it says

23 g of ethanol (C2H5OH) is dissolved in 250 g of
water. What is the approximate freezing point of this
solution? (kf of water = 1.86°C_kg/mol)

they say that the answer is -3.7 C.

I thought that ethanol would disocciate into C2H5O- and H+, but I assume that it doesn't from this solution.

Any one have any ideas as to how I could know if some thing disocciates in water or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Just try to keep in mind what the general goal of this question is: freezing point. So it's best to find the variables that we know we're going to be using. Kf is provided. All we need now is m. That's just (1/2 mol)/(1/4 kg) = 2m. Multiply that by the provided Kf. And that's how much the freezing will depress by from 0.

aranjuez

i know that, but if the compound breaks up into two solutes, then you would have to multiply by 2 because the equation is K*molal*i.

so ethanol doesn't break up? is what i am asking.

ryan85 said:
i know that, but if the compound breaks up into two solutes, then you would have to multiply by 2 because the equation is K*molal*i.

so ethanol doesn't break up? is what i am asking.

Don't think so. -OH is not a good leaving group by itself. Can be with the help of SOCl2 though.

Here's some advice that may help. Think of freezing point depression as having three (3) variables and not (2). Here's what I mean:

T(f) = (i)(m)(K)

The Kaplan book doesn't mention (i) as a variable, but it's important.

(i) = number of dissociated compounds, for example NaCl --> Na+ and Cl-, therefore your (i) is 2. Also, organic compounds won't dissociate, which is what you have here with C2H5OH. They remain as a single compound and their (i) value are always 1.

I assume you understand m is molality and K is the constant.

Thus us you have T(f) = (1)(0.5/0.25)(1.86) = 3.7, and the answer is negative since we're dealing with freezing point depression.

Hope this helps :)