Freshman Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wes1015

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just gotten my schedule today and I have Chem, Biology, Pre-Calc, English, I know I have to take the pcat next july so will I be ready with these courses? and im sure ill have to take organic chem this summer

Members don't see this ad.

for your first semester thats a preety heavy load but nothing you should not be able to handle. However your hope to take the pcat so soon may be a little too optomistic. You will have no physics under your belt although the physics section in the pcat is light. but ochem over the summer seems like a disaster waiting too happen right before the pcat. I say take your time and space the classes more to your favor. you will still need to take the physics sequence that can take a year. good luck

You could take the PCAT, but don't expect a very good score. I took the PCAT when i only had a year of gen chem, 1 semester bio, no organic, no physics and no calculus. I believe i scored a 53. It was a good experience though because I saw that I really needed to work on my speed. It's up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
for your first semester thats a preety heavy load but nothing you should not be able to handle. However your hope to take the pcat so soon may be a little too optomistic. You will have no physics under your belt although the physics section in the pcat is light. but ochem over the summer seems like a disaster waiting too happen right before the pcat. I say take your time and space the classes more to your favor. you will still need to take the physics sequence that can take a year. good luck

Since when does the PCAT have a physics section? I've never heard of that and anyone can do well on the PCAT without taking physics. PCAT tests biology, general chemistry, calculus (quantitative), verbal, reading comprehension, etc... physics is no where to be found. Unless you're referring to certain concepts from general chemistry, such as thermodynamics, that intersect or blend in with physics thermodynamics.

Since when does the PCAT have a physics section? I've never heard of that and anyone can do well on the PCAT without taking physics. PCAT tests biology, general chemistry, calculus (quantitative), verbal, reading comprehension, etc... physics is no where to be found. Unless you're referring to certain concepts from general chemistry, such as thermodynamics, that intersect or blend in with physics thermodynamics.

If there were Physics on the PCAT, I probably wouldn't be in pharmacy school right now.

Lots of people take the PCAT before their second year.

the PCAT sections are:
Biology - self study some human anat & physio concepts and micro. If you get a PCAT book/study guides, they pretty much tell you what you need to know. PCATprofessor is good for biology.
Chemistry - self study orgo concepts
Calculus - should be prepared
Verbal - should be prepared
Reading Comprehension - should be prepared

I have just gotten my schedule today and I have Chem, Biology, Pre-Calc, English, I know I have to take the pcat next july so will I be ready with these courses? and im sure ill have to take organic chem this summer

That is exactly what my schedule was, including o. chem over the summer, and it worked out just fine for me. But I would recommend waiting to take the PCAT until October. You want to have as much knowledge as you can, and I felt that having completed o. chem helped. No need to rush and take the PCAT when you don't really have to.

You should be fine if you can learn material through a Kaplan book on your own, I took the PCAT after my 3rd semester (maybe second? can't remember) and I did fine.

thanks, october sounds good, I was just reading previous post and alot of ppl said take it in july so you can have the option to retake in oct.

also, what schooling do I have to look forward to taking to become a Director of Pharm, or work as a consultant for a distributor because I don't think I want to do retail

also, what schooling do I have to look forward to taking to become a Director of Pharm, or work as a consultant for a distributor because I don't think I want to do retail

There are a ton of options out there aside from retail. I don't know the exact extent, but some people here can rattle off examples like there's no tomorrow. I have chosen not to think about it this early, and figure it out once I get more exposure. The one thing I do know though is that you need that PharmD for pretty much any of it. So look at the prereqs for the school you are interested in, take those, take the PCAT, get some retail or shadowing experience, and move on to pharm school!

There are a ton of options out there aside from retail. I don't know the exact extent, but some people here can rattle off examples like there's no tomorrow. I have chosen not to think about it this early, and figure it out once I get more exposure. The one thing I do know though is that you need that PharmD for pretty much any of it. So look at the prereqs for the school you are interested in, take those, take the PCAT, get some retail or shadowing experience, and move on to pharm school!

Thanks, yeah I pretty much feel the same way I just wanted to know what I have to do so I can pick the best college for maybe a pharmd/mba school, and make sure i have the right pre req's