Freud's personality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGachet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any good books/sources/links appreciated. I've become interested in how his own personality structure and temperaments, drives, etc, influenced his theory, emphasis on subconscious, sexuality--in particular the dynamics in family, and his anti-religious views. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably search through Amazon. They have great books.

The Portable Jung actually has a great overview of that from Jung's perspective. I found it highly enlightening. His obsession with sex for instance starts to make a whole lot more sense when you understand the relationship between him, his wife, and his wife's sister.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Portable Jung actually has a great overview of that from Jung's perspective. I found it highly enlightening. His obsession with sex for instance starts to make a whole lot more sense when you understand the relationship between him, his wife, and his wife's sister.

Thanks. I'm such a scatterbrain though. I'm often trying to do multiple things at the same time, and today while reading about Nietzsche's views, I came across a reviewer who suggested that the good philosopher was a psychopath. So it seems I have two projects then, trying to psychologize or perhaps even pathologize the complex views and esteemed philosophies of two very intelligent men, a psychoanalyst and a philosopher. Skinner, you're next.

In my opinion, the role that cocaine had in his theories is very relevant and must have had a profound impact on the lens of his world view.

Gachet, you might want to check out Yalom's novel, When Nietzsche Wept. It's on my list. But my understanding is that the stars are Nietzsche, Freud, and, Breuer. I haven't read it yet but I look foorward to it.

he was probably an INTP. any takers?

Gachet, you might want to check out Yalom's novel, When Nietzsche Wept. It's on my list. But my understanding is that the stars are Nietzsche, Freud, and, Breuer. I haven't read it yet but I look foorward to it.

I've read it but did not like it. I guess I was expecting some amazing and deep philosophical discussions; and glimpses into the mind of a gifted man, one of the founders of existentialism. Instead I got a miserable and sick man, whose mind was psychologized...and in the process something significant was lost. Maybe it was his transformation during therapy that did not ring true, I can't put my finger on it. Regardless, I found it unsatisfying. It's a decent book but certainly not great.