friend going into pmr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JackBauERfan

CTU Field Agent
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
and they were wondering for letters of recommendation if it is a requirement for most schools to have a letter from an internal medicine attending? Is this a basic requirement (for the preliminary medicine year) or did most of you guys just use letters from non-medicine (for the prelim medicine interviews)?
 
JackBauERfan said:
and they were wondering for letters of recommendation if it is a requirement for most schools to have a letter from an internal medicine attending? Is this a basic requirement (for the preliminary medicine year) or did most of you guys just use letters from non-medicine (for the prelim medicine interviews)?

i think it's a good idea... prelim progs want to know how u are going to do in the prelim year which is mostly medicine based even if it's a ty year vs. prelim year. I had an IM letter and 3 PM&R letters which i sent to all my progs, both prelim and pmr apps...

it can't hurt to ask for the letter especially because u can upload as many as you want to eras. then you just click 4 to designate to specific progs later on .
 
It'd be nice to have one I think. I think you could use either IM or FM.
Also, a chair's letter in IM though not required could be useful.
I used one IM letter only and am currently at a prelim program where most everyone is radiology!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hemisphere said:
i think it's a good idea... prelim progs want to know how u are going to do in the prelim year which is mostly medicine based even if it's a ty year vs. prelim year. I had an IM letter and 3 PM&R letters which i sent to all my progs, both prelim and pmr apps...

it can't hurt to ask for the letter especially because u can upload as many as you want to eras. then you just click 4 to designate to specific progs later on .

cool thanks for the replies. I think my friend might have been reluctant because she didnt know the IM folks as well as the PM&R and felt she knew another specialties (I think surgery) a little better and thought it would be a better letter.
 
JackBauERfan said:
cool thanks for the replies. I think my friend might have been reluctant because she didnt know the IM folks as well as the PM&R and felt she knew another specialties (I think surgery) a little better and thought it would be a better letter.

I dont think there is any question that you should go for the best letter from the person you have worked with most closely. The point of discussion is, if you have two such people, but I would suggest you should always go for the best letter first, and the best letter writting source a distant second, in terms of priorities.

Reviewers will almost certainly read the body of the letter. The pedigree of the letter writer is noticed by a far smaller number of interviewers