friend's situation in class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john5819

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends is a young woman who lives in Australia. She's attending a medical school in Australia. Their seasons are different over there, so they're not on summer break. They just started a new semester. She doesn't have an SDN account, so she asked me to post this for her.

Here are her words: At our school, we have weekly problem based learning (PBL) sessions. For these sessions, we are divided into groups of around a dozen students. They are led by an instructor. Since the semester just started, we just had our first session today. I was wearing a skirt that ends above my knees. To start off, we introduced ourselves. Then, the instructor explained that we will be graded based on professionalism and participation.

Then, he started reviewing the terminology for anatomical movements with us. So first, he put his head under the table to look at our feet, and he said "show me plantarflexion of the left foot". So we all did that with our feet. Then, he got us to stand up and he said "show me internal rotation of the left hip". After that, he got us to sit down and while looking under the table, he said "show me abduction of the right hip". As you can imagine, since we were sitting down, this would require us to move our right leg to the side. But since I was wearing a skirt, this would cause him to get a view up my skirt. I didn't know what to do, and that's why I felt panicked when he said this. I ended up sitting still and not moving my leg. I cannot tell for sure whether he was being creepy or not, but I'd guess that he was totally innocent. That's because he doesn't seem to be the malicious type and he also seems a bit absent minded, so it's likely that he never realized the gravity of what he said. And if he did realize, it certainly didn't show on his facial expression. But I'm pretty sure he noticed that I didn't participate in that pose, so maybe he thinks I was being lazy. I'm sure I looked like the odd one out, so maybe I didn't get the best possible participation grade.

This guy is just a tutor, not a lecturer, so his email is not listed on the website. So I cannot email him about this. Although I could email the PBL coordinator. How should I have handled this in the moment? And what should I do about it now?

Members don't see this ad.

This person (whomever they may be) is overthinking this

Reactions: 7 users
1. Friend is lazy and could have made an account in 1 min
2. Don't wear a skirt next time - problem solved. Move on. There are worse issues to worry about like what color pen to bring to school

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The guy is a creep. He could have given your friend consideration by saying something like, "except for Miss. ABC, please show me your...." After class, he informs her not to wear a skirt to class as he will require these similar exercises in the future. But geeks often do not have common sense unfortunately. She should not lose sleep over it.

Last edited:
The guy is a creep. He could have given your friend consideration by saying something like, "except for Miss. ABC, please show me your...."

Jesus christ man, the poor guy is just doing his job. Leave him alone.

Reactions: 4 users
This story almost has a troll feel to it...

Reactions: 2 users
One of my friends is a young woman who lives in Australia. She's attending a medical school in Australia. Their seasons are different over there, so they're not on summer break. They just started a new semester. She doesn't have an SDN account, so she asked me to post this for her.

Here are her words: At our school, we have weekly problem based learning (PBL) sessions. For these sessions, we are divided into groups of around a dozen students. They are led by an instructor. Since the semester just started, we just had our first session today. I was wearing a skirt that ends above my knees. To start off, we introduced ourselves. Then, the instructor explained that we will be graded based on professionalism and participation.

Then, he started reviewing the terminology for anatomical movements with us. So first, he put his head under the table to look at our feet, and he said "show me plantarflexion of the left foot". So we all did that with our feet. Then, he got us to stand up and he said "show me internal rotation of the left hip". After that, he got us to sit down and while looking under the table, he said "show me abduction of the right hip". As you can imagine, since we were sitting down, this would require us to move our right leg to the side. But since I was wearing a skirt, this would cause him to get a view up my skirt. I didn't know what to do, and that's why I felt panicked when he said this. I ended up sitting still and not moving my leg. I cannot tell for sure whether he was being creepy or not, but I'd guess that he was totally innocent. That's because he doesn't seem to be the malicious type and he also seems a bit absent minded, so it's likely that he never realized the gravity of what he said. And if he did realize, it certainly didn't show on his facial expression. But I'm pretty sure he noticed that I didn't participate in that pose, so maybe he thinks I was being lazy. I'm sure I looked like the odd one out, so maybe I didn't get the best possible participation grade.

This guy is just a tutor, not a lecturer, so his email is not listed on the website. So I cannot email him about this. Although I could email the PBL coordinator. How should I have handled this in the moment? And what should I do about it now?
I do not know the accepted culture of Australia or their laws, but irregardless, this is very non professional and inappropriate. I strongly suggest she contact the school's administration and voice her concerns. That being said, joining SDN is very simple, why doesn't she share her concerns first hand rather than go through a secondary party.

This story almost has a troll feel to it...
She's being serious. If this happened to you, wouldn't you also feel that it's awkward? So what do you think of this situation?

1. Friend is lazy and could have made an account in 1 min
2. Don't wear a skirt next time - problem solved. Move on. There are worse issues to worry about like what color pen to bring to school
But do you think she should have asked to speak to him privately at the end of class, or was it better to say nothing?

Some battles are not worth dying on, this is one of them.

Reactions: 1 user
She's being serious. If this happened to you, wouldn't you also feel that it's awkward? So what do you think of this situation?
Ok. I'll bite.

To me, it sounds like your friend is overthinking the whole situation. Yes - it was awkward. No need to bring this up to the coordinator or no need to speak to the guy after the PBL session. I assume that she participated in all but this one move. I don't know the grading at her school but I cannot imagine that a situation like this would tank anyone's grade. High chance the guy hasn't even noticed it. So, she did not do this move - how would the guy know that she didn't do it because she's lazy and not because she, let's say, does not know what abduction is, or that she misheard abduct vs adduct?

It sounds like this situation was very uncomfortable for her and she has a good reason to feel uncomfortable. However, thinking that this will have any noticeable consequences on her grade seems to be a stretch... unless Australian med schools are just ueber-cut-throat.

As Goro said - scrubs...

• Love
My anatomy professor had all of us do the different anatomical movements and corrected us if we were doing them wrong - I don’t find the fact that they’re checking everyone out odd.

As a woman, I feel like this move wouldn’t have even made me uncomfortable because I would’ve just pinched the fabric of my skirt between my legs and basically made makeshift shorts. Being called out to not do the move because of my skirt would’ve made me a lot more uncomfortable.

This is not to dismiss the discomfort your friend felt, but it’s entirely likely the lecturer didn’t realize what was happening. She doesn’t need to speculate that a lecturer would thought she was being lazy, because they’ll probably let her know if it’s an issue. However, she should document this in a word document so if it’s a repeated issue she can send admin information with specific dates and types of behavior that made her feel soloed out.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you angle your hips so you could abduct but no one could see anything? Ie not face him?

Status
Not open for further replies.