friends with benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rimmies

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured this title might get a response. I'm just wondering how many people have connections to schools that they are trying to use. I have a few, and I'm hoping that they will help. The most i'm hoping for is that it will help my app to rise to the top, or near the top, of the consideration pile. I was just curious to see what others were working on.

Members don't see this ad.

are you close friends with the head of the admission committee? If not, ask yourself when you were in college, could you have "helped" a friend from high school get into the college by "moving" his pile to the top of the consideration pile? (if you could, how?)

I wouldn't expect a student to ever have any impact....personally, I worked for a close friend of the president of the school I would like to attend who has asked if he could speak to his friend on my behalf...

Members don't see this ad :)
This goes on all the time in any facet of society. Why not dental applications processes?

IMO, it is prevalent at almost every dental school. Regardeless of whether it is friends putting in some sort of good word or actual adcoms letting in "son of alums"

Oh and a good students recommendation can be the tiebreaker between two or three good applicants with similar apps in some situations.

I have to say, I was shadowing an endo the other day and he was telling me how he has helped a guy get into the school that he attended. At first, I had to clarify and I said "so the myth is true then?" He said it was true for sure! I always figured there was some truth to it, unfortunately, my daddy isn't a dentist....:mad:

I wouldn't expect a student to ever have any impact....personally, I worked for a close friend of the president of the school I would like to attend who has asked if he could speak to his friend on my behalf...

I helped an old accquaintance get an acceptance. He had already interviewed, but wasn't on the short list. I spoke with one of the deans and vouched for the applicant. He was accepted a short time later.

Like it or not, in this world who you know will help as much if not more than what you know. So, I guess my opinion on the matter is use the connections if you got them, that is what they are there for. If you don't, make yourself better or get them. It is so competitive today, and in my opinion getting into dental school is half luck anyways (I mean, with 4000+ applicants, 2,500+ with 3.2+ gpa and 19+ dat, you have to be somewhat lucky to even get looked at. moral, apply early so your odds are better), you have to use every advantage you can get or you may get burned. I never had connections, so it sucks for people like me, but if I had them, bet your life I would of used them.

I helped an old accquaintance get an acceptance. He had already interviewed, but wasn't on the short list. I spoke with one of the deans and vouched for the applicant. He was accepted a short time later.

I believe it. If the dean has 1 spot and 10 people worthy of that spot and can't decide, then you come along and vouch for the person, and you are someone that can be trusted, if I were the dean I'd accept your buddy.

I believe it. If the dean has 1 spot and 10 people worthy of that spot and can't decide, then you come along and vouch for the person, and you are someone that can be trusted, if I were the dean I'd accept your buddy.

At our school, I dont think its even the dean that decides who comes in or not. She's more of a figurehead, but i guess thats the why the stick someone in that spot w/ an MPH. Politics. I feel a rant coming on..

Gavin,

Do you mind sharing what your acquaintance's gpa and dat scores were? Do you even know?

This is not the kind of friends with benefits I was thinking about....

that's pretty much why I called it that....

:laugh: well my uncle's a dentist and he's told me that he has a couple of friends who have said that as long as the applicant has good scores he can get them in...so we'll see what happens but obviously, i'm not relying on this
-ld