From business to medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circlingsun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me give you a bit of background info:
I did undergrad in Canada, started off as a biology major, and I did horrible (I'm talking Cs and Ds), then switched schools and majored in economics and business and now have a 3.9 GPA. I just graduated in May with honors, have a job in investment banking, but for the past year or so, I've been seriously regretting going down the business route and leaving behind my dream of being a doctor.
I started off college very young and was extremely immature, and I'm convinced that if I were to take those biology courses again, I would do much better.

I've been wanting to apply to a post bac pre-med program, but I keep on thinking that I'll get an automatic reject since they'll see my bio grades. I'd want to go back to the US for med school (I'm originally from there).

Do you have any suggestions on the options available to me?
I feel really depressed, I really want to help people and be a doctor, but I feel like I've already failed once and I won't be able to get back on track again...

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me give you a bit of background info:
I did undergrad in Canada, started off as a biology major, and I did horrible (I'm talking Cs and Ds), then switched schools and majored in economics and business and now have a 3.9 GPA. I just graduated in May with honors, have a job in investment banking, but for the past year or so, I've been seriously regretting going down the business route and leaving behind my dream of being a doctor.
I started off college very young and was extremely immature, and I'm convinced that if I were to take those biology courses again, I would do much better.

I've been wanting to apply to a post bac pre-med program, but I keep on thinking that I'll get an automatic reject since they'll see my bio grades. I'd want to go back to the US for med school (I'm originally from there).

Do you have any suggestions on the options available to me?
I feel really depressed, I really want to help people and be a doctor, but I feel like I've already failed once and I won't be able to get back on track again...

Thanks for your help!

There are many postbac programs available, some more structured than others. It's possible that you already have taken Bio and done poorly that your chances at getting into the structured programs are lower. If you talk about it in your applications they might look past it however.

Additionally there are also more free-form postbacs that won't necessarily care. As long as you perform well in your post-bac, medical schools will likely look past it as well.