From DO to PA....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chocolatetherapy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I've never posted on here but I was hoping some of you guys could help me out! I previously applied to DO this past year and got accepted into two schools. I'm now second guessing if I should go through with medical school or explore options as a physician assistant. Medical school is just too costly (I'm a Canadian looking to attend school in the US) and I'm not too interested in spending four years in medical school and then three years of residency anymore.

I have some health care experience (shadowing, hospital volunteering) but not nearly close to what some PA schools expect... I was considering taking the next year off to gain more experience and hopefully the 1000 hours required. I was wondering if you guys know of any Canadian-friendly PA schools in the US. Also, is it easy for Canadians to get accepted into American PA schools or get a job in the US after? I don't know of anybody from Canada completing a PA program in the states so I was just curious. Thanks!
 
there are a handful of Canadian pa schools now, maybe 3-4.
start your research here: https://capa-acam.ca/
and here: http://www.caopa.net/
best of luck whatever you decide.
also see www.physicianassistantforum.com and www.aapa.org

Thanks for the reply! I know there are Canadian PA schools, but they're not accredited in the US, so I would like the option of working there in the future. Plus, if you get the degree from the states it is also valid in Canada. Do you know of any Canadians in American PA schools?
 
Hey guys, I've never posted on here but I was hoping some of you guys could help me out! I previously applied to DO this past year and got accepted into two schools. I'm now second guessing if I should go through with medical school or explore options as a physician assistant. Medical school is just too costly (I'm a Canadian looking to attend school in the US) and I'm not too interested in spending four years in medical school and then three years of residency anymore.

I have some health care experience (shadowing, hospital volunteering) but not nearly close to what some PA schools expect... I was considering taking the next year off to gain more experience and hopefully the 1000 hours required. I was wondering if you guys know of any Canadian-friendly PA schools in the US. Also, is it easy for Canadians to get accepted into American PA schools or get a job in the US after? I don't know of anybody from Canada completing a PA program in the states so I was just curious. Thanks!

Just go to medical school. I'm a Pa-> DO


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app