From FM to IM to speciality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted542994

I'm in my third year of a FM program, 2 months from graduation. I find that primary care is not my cup of tea, I had to take this residency because it was a back up. Before this I did one year as a transitional year.

What, if at all possible, steps I should take to apply [and get into] an IM residency? I want to to do specifically do IM and not just practice as a Hospitalist in a FM role because I want to further specialize in IM sub-specialties.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in my third year of a FM program, 2 months from graduation. I find that primary care is not my cup of tea, I had to take this residency because it was a back up. Before this I did one year as a transitional year.

What, if at all possible, steps I should take to apply [and get into] an IM residency? I want to to do specifically do IM and not just practice as a Hospitalist in a FM role because I want to further specialize in IM sub-specialties.

Thank you
It’s not impossible but it may be harder to obtain IM residency after already finishing FM. Another 3 years of training?!?! With FM training you can apply for addiction medicine fellowship or geriatrics if you don’t want to do primary care Your post history tells me that you came a long way, congrats!!

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not impossible but it may be harder to obtain IM residency after already finishing FM. Another 3 years of training?!?! With FM training you can apply for addiction medicine fellowship or geriatrics if you don’t want to do primary care Your post history tells me that you came a long way, congrats!!

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I will definitely take your advise into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it will be hard to get into IM...

I know one doc who did FM---> IM---> ID. He did get 1 yr credit for IM. So you can look into getting a PGY2 IM position.

I think some blunt words will help you. I do not wish to discourage. But, from your posts, it seems you’ve been on a winding road for over a DECADE after finishing med school. Literally ELEVEN years of doing this, then switching, switching again, and then switching AGAIN!

Its truly amazing you are about to finish residency. And I applaud you for being so so so very close.

That being said:

Dude, cut the cord. Practice FM. You can do SO much being a family doc. Lots of different things that aren’t “just” vanilla PC work.

Worse case scenario, you hate it so much you only work 30-35 hours a week, pull in 150-200k and live your life...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just practice and be in the real world. Make a decent living for a bit. Sounds likes the last ten years haven’t been easy.

Then reassess.

Reactions: 1 users
I did not get what other posters were talking about until I look at OP's history...

I agree with other posters. It's time to move on and have a life.

Just practice and be in the real world. Make a decent living for a bit. Sounds likes the last ten years haven’t been easy.

Then reassess.
Thank you, this is probably the best advise of all. You're right, the last ten haven't been easy at all.

Reactions: 2 users