From high tech to optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snikkin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been browsing the forums and this is my first post. Here's my story: I got my B.S. in computer science in 1998. My original major during undergrad was biochem with a goal to enter optometry school after graduation. During my junior year I decided to jump on the high tech band wagon and switch my major to computer science. I enjoyed the classes and got a really good internship at a high tech company which later turned into a full time job after graduation. 3 years into my high tech career, I thought about optometry school again. Circumstances in my life at that time made it difficult to pursue optometry. I got promoted and enjoyed my job again. A year later, I find myself thinking about optometry again especially with the high tech slow down and layoffs. I'm 28, married with one child and still find myself wondering about optometry school. From browsing thru the forums and the internet, it seems like a majority of the optometry students come straight from undergrad and don't have a family of their own yet. Is there anyone out there in the same boat as me? If so, is there any advice, pointers, tips, anything you can share with me? I know I can meet the challenges of optometry school, but I am dreading the OAT. I would practically have to take or review all the science courses again since it's been 7 yrs since I studied them. I also have to take a couple of prereq science classes that I didn't finish after switching majors. Thanks in advance! Your reply will be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

snikkin said:
..." I would practically have to take or review all the science courses again since it's been 7 yrs since I studied them. I also have to take a couple of prereq science classes that I didn't finish after switching majors. Thanks in advance! Your reply will be much appreciated!

I've taken a route that might have some similarities. I practiced for several years and was taken by the "Internet boom" for several years. I am back in private practice part time but am leveraging my computer skills by working in medical informatics the other part of the time.

I hope that I can answer your questions in some respects

Richard

I didn't do the CS thing... but I did work in biotech before coming back to OD school at 25. There are plenty of married students in my class. There are about 7 students with children. They're all making it work.

You can buy review books for the OAT and study at night after work and on weekends (that's what I did). I also signed up for night classes at the local CC to fill in pre-reqs my major didn't cover. (psych, statistics, etc) Call the OD schools you're interested in to find out which classes would count at the local CC (I found out the anatomy class I'd initially registered for wouldn't count and had to trade to a different CC --- always good to know ahead of time!!)

Good luck... if it's what you feel passionate about.. GO FOR IT !! Shadow some ODs in your area first to make sure it what you want to commit the rest of your life too. (you'll get good LORs that way too) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
At ICO it seems as if everyone is married and entering school several years after undergrade. I'm sure the majority are "traditional" students, but just looking at my close friends, I'm the youngest (23). Everyone else took a round-about route to get here. Don't worry about "fitting in," there are a lot of people like you.

Thanks for the encouraging replies. What did you guys do when you shadowed an optometrist? Did they teach you anything or just allowed you to observe them? I did observe my optometrist for 2hrs/day for two months back in 2002. I basically followed her like a shadow. She took me into the exam rooms, explained the different instruments, allowed me to look at patient's eyes especially those with problems. Her staff even showed me the administrative side of running a private practice. This is very interesting, but shadowing became very boring after awhile. I wanted more hands on experience that an internship would probably provide. I'm just curious to learn what you guys did during your shadowing so I can get some ideas on how I can make this experience more interesting. Thanks again!!! :)

rpames said:
At ICO it seems as if everyone is married and entering school several years after undergrade. I'm sure the majority are "traditional" students, but just looking at my close friends, I'm the youngest (23). Everyone else took a round-about route to get here. Don't worry about "fitting in," there are a lot of people like you.

are you saying everyone in your class at ICO is basically married? wouldn't that be really bad for single guys heading into ICO?

If I were single, I would not worry about the female population at ICO. There are a ton of single pretty women here. But on the same note, there a ton of married couples here too.

snikkin said:
Hi, I've been browsing the forums and this is my first post. Here's my story: I got my B.S. in computer science in 1998. My original major during undergrad was biochem with a goal to enter optometry school after graduation. During my junior year I decided to jump on the high tech band wagon and switch my major to computer science. I enjoyed the classes and got a really good internship at a high tech company which later turned into a full time job after graduation. 3 years into my high tech career, I thought about optometry school again. Circumstances in my life at that time made it difficult to pursue optometry. I got promoted and enjoyed my job again. A year later, I find myself thinking about optometry again especially with the high tech slow down and layoffs. I'm 28, married with one child and still find myself wondering about optometry school. From browsing thru the forums and the internet, it seems like a majority of the optometry students come straight from undergrad and don't have a family of their own yet. Is there anyone out there in the same boat as me? If so, is there any advice, pointers, tips, anything you can share with me? I know I can meet the challenges of optometry school, but I am dreading the OAT. I would practically have to take or review all the science courses again since it's been 7 yrs since I studied them. I also have to take a couple of prereq science classes that I didn't finish after switching majors. Thanks in advance! Your reply will be much appreciated!

I got my B.A in 1998 in Clinical Psychology. I taught for some time and then decided to take science classes, a bit at a time.
Today Im 30 and this fall will be my first year in Optometry school. I have to admit: as you get older, its tough studying and getting back in the groove of things, but as cpw told you, if you're passionate about this, then anything is possible.
Also keep in mind that schools enjoy diversity in their classrooms, the fact that you are a little older means that you are perhaps a little more mature and a little more motivated to do what you want to do....
Dont worry about your age or your past; just study very hard for the OAT, take your science classes (good luck with Org. Chem. as that killed me) and you'll be fine. But i suggest to you what others have already told you, go and shaddow as many OD's as you can before you do this. Its a long road but, well worth it!
good luck

Thanks, rpames

:love: :laugh:

This is my first post as well. I was lurking for a long time too :) I had to post because this is my story exactly!!! I worked for Lenscrafters and a private optometrist all thru college and seriously thought about optometry school. I majored in bio in college, but unfortunately I jumped on the tech wagon as well and got a CS minor as well. Worked for 4 years in IT, while slowly realizing that I absolutely hate IT and the last time I was happy with my job was at an optometry office. Also married, no kids through. So a year ago I decided to pursue optometry again and started studying for OAT. So now I'm applying to optometry schools, hoping to get in and upset with myself for not doing this sooner. :rolleyes:

seems to me that alot of optometry students are married and quite a few have kids (met two wifes of opt students when looking for apartments...only checked out four places)....i feel like im too young :laugh:

If I were single, I would not worry about the female population at ICO. There are a ton of single pretty women here. But on the same note, there a ton of married couples here too.

how many girls in your class are still single now?

in my class, we've had tons get married... girls getting engaged... so basically everyone ended up getting taken... except for 1 girl who got divorced

i also echo your story. my BS is in pre-law in 2000. took absolutely ZERO math or science in undergrad because i was in a silly honors program that had an alternative core curriculum. no normal classes, they had us learn by time blocks... i created my own (worthless) major, since i did not attend law school. i worked in various administrative postitions for several years, my last postition was in pharmaceutical manufacturing as an very well-paid admin, and i realized, i am bored out of my skull. i have done all i can and ever will do as a secretary. i can't see myself doing this for the next 30 years.

so i weighed my options and decided optometry school was it. i worked for a large group practice in high school and always admired the docs. but i had the rationale that i wasn't a "math/science" person, therefore i wasn't smart enough to go to optometry school. whatever. i am a firm believer now (to risk sounding cheesy/trite) that if you work hard enough, you can do anything. so i went part time at a comm college at night while working, and the deal was if i got A's in biology I & II, I'd quit my job and go to school full time at the comm college to make up just about ALL of the prereqs (all math/science since i had none). so i quit my job and dug out my old backpack and re-entered the world of a full time undergrad student. i should mention that i am married and have an infant son... we lived and still live on the proverbial shoe string, since my spouse is a public school employee... but i have spent the last 2.5 years in comm college and have all but one class done. i was interviewed early this fall and accepted very quickly.

i was the person who worked so hard to avoid math and science and ended up with a 4.0. as far as the OAT, it was a beast to study for, but i knew what my goal score was and i made it exactly. granted last year i was taking a full course load, held 3 part time jobs and was pregnant. i took the OAT 6 days before giving birth, and got the job done. i've been able to relax this year, which is a gift, and spend time with my son. i met my future classmates and was a bit concerned. i am much older than them, and only one other student is a parent... but there are a few married couples i think. i guess i was expecting to find more people like myself with families making career changes, but regardless, i am still so excited to begin this journey. the benefit to being older is the maturity and lack of distraction as well as the ablity to balance competing obligations. i'm not looking for potential spouses, i'm not out at the club at night, our social life is pretty limited w/ a baby now! my goals are clear and my motivation is to provide a better life for my family. so sorry for the rambling, but my point is this ~ be encouraged!!! if this is truly what you desire, then you can do it.