from hospital to long term care

Started by levophed77
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

levophed77

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work full time at a rural hospital and was recently offered a full time RPH position at a long term care (Omnicare) and it is located in one of the areas I want to live in. One of my former co-workers told me not to work for this company if possible. Does anyone have any experience with Omnicare.
Please share with me.

Thank you.
 
Wow, 2 long-term care threads in 1 day? This is my lucky day

Anywho, I've worked for omnicare for 18 months and so I far I love it. However, the pharmacy I work at is a much smaller scale operation than say the omnicare in florida or chicago that has as many as 20 pharmacist on staff. You're coming at a good time as far as corporate culture wise. The company is in a middle of changing the way it is perceived and have been making strides in doing so. The CEO change and some other personnel changes at the top have lots to do with it.

As for the actual work you do its very simple but depending on volume it could get hectic.At large volume pharmacies there are pharmacist who do computer verification, card checking, iv prep, and a pharmacist who takes phone calls from nurses all day. Since my place is low volume, Ive normally do all 4 of these every day but not the iv part much so.

Your former co-worker probably worked at a much busier location or had a bad experience with work environment. The only con I know is the bad 401k which is they contribute only 50 cents per dollar up to 6% of your salary and of course taking the oncall which may be good or bad.
 
There is one post asking how to get a job in Longterm Care, why don't you just
pass the job offer to that person?😍

I saw someone in this forum saying that his wife working at longterm care, and to him it's a cushy job. So why not working for them? As the previous posted, I didn't feel like it's a cushy job at all, or is it?😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is one post asking how to get a job in Longterm Care, why don't you just
pass the job offer to that person?😍

I saw someone in this forum saying that his wife working at longterm care, and to him it's a cushy job. So why not working for them? As the previous posted, I didn't feel like it's a cushy job at all, or is it?😕

That would be my wifie. 🙂 She loves her cushy job! The pharmacy is open for 14 hours a day. All the RPhs rotate the early/late shifts. The late shift usually go home 1-2 hours early because there would nothing left to do. So what do the early shift RPhs do? Takes off early by shaving off the over-lap between shifts. 😳

Of course, the boss gets the fixed 8-4:30, and usually is gone by 3. But hey, who's gonna complain about working 6 hours and getting paid 8? What's truly amazing is that somehow they are still making money operating like this. 🙄
 
That would be my wifie. 🙂 She loves her cushy job! The pharmacy is open for 14 hours a day. All the RPhs rotate the early/late shifts. The late shift usually go home 1-2 hours early because there would nothing left to do. So what do the early shift RPhs do? Takes off early by shaving off the over-lap between shifts. 😳

Of course, the boss gets the fixed 8-4:30, and usually is gone by 3. But hey, who's gonna complain about working 6 hours and getting paid 8? What's truly amazing is that somehow they are still making money operating like this. 🙄

wow, how do i find this job? lol
 
wow, how do i find this job? lol

You just have to get lucky. When we were still in Ohio, my wife worked for the same company at a much larger branch. It was still pretty cushy since it's well staffed, but people did put in the 8 hours a day like they should. When we moved to Texas because of my job, she got lucky with an intra-company transfer. She didn't know this branch was gonna be this cushy until she go here.

To think she was ready to go retail before this opening popped up last minute. :laugh: It's like she won the lottery 😛.
 
You just have to get lucky. When we were still in Ohio, my wife worked for the same company at a much larger branch. It was still pretty cushy since it's well staffed, but people did put in the 8 hours a day like they should. When we moved to Texas because of my job, she got lucky with an intra-company transfer. She didn't know this branch was gonna be this cushy until she go here.

To think she was ready to go retail before this opening popped up last minute. :laugh: It's like she won the lottery 😛.

congrats 😀
 
I'm pretty lucky too, having a wife who's willing to go LTC to retail for her husband is also like winning the lottery. 😛 I may not tell her, but I know it, and I think she knows I know it. 😍

Awwww that's cute!! A woman is always willing to compromise....I don't know about the man going from LTC to retail...may be ...but less likely..
 
There's an Omnicare just two miles from my house in Texas. Just my luck, I randomly looked for positions there last summer and applied when an opening came up. However, I was told by the recruiter that they had 30+ applications for that one opening. I think it was combo of LTC, hours (even the latest shift ended around 8pm), location, and folks trying to fight for a dayshift job versus to whatever they had previously. How would it be after the merger with Pharmerica, I dunno.
 
is it rare to find long term care pharmacist positions? are these closed door pharmacies? and anyone whose worked in this area, any insight about the future for long-term care pharmacies? i figure retail life looks bleak with all the reimbursement cuts and PBM mergers... should a retail pharmacist take a paycut to jump into LTC?

thanks for the insights!