From PH.D to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Travel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows about how hard it is or what type of process it is to get into medical school after you already have obtained your Ph.D in the sciences. Do you have to take the MCAT, are you more likely to get into school where you got your Ph.D?

Members don't see this ad.

You still have to take the MCAT, with a PhD background I would assume you'll do very well (36+). If you do well, I would assume you'll get in lots and lots of places, but if you bonk the MCAT it might devalue your PhD a little.
Also, everyone is going to ask you why you're going back through school, so be prepared to come up with a good answer.

There are a bunch of Ph.D's in my class. I don't know how the app process differed for them, but probably not by much. Yes you'll still have to take the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me when I tell you that your PhD means absolutly nothing to addmissions committees. I know that seems shocking since you have clearly shown drive, ambition, and the will to work hard, but they don't really care. I think in a lot of ways the PhD can hurt you. I'll also disagree with the previous poster that your PhD doesn't give you an great advantage on the MCAT. I feel like my training as a PhD actually inhibited my ability to "find" an answer since I would continually think of possible ways in which multiple answers could be the right one. The biology section of the MCAT would have what was supposed to be a western blot, but looked absolutly nothing like a western I've every run and I've done hundreds. I would like to tell you that you'll have no problem getting into medical school at your school you did your PhD, but that wasn't the case for me, but that really depends on where you went and who your mentor knows. If you're at a small school like I was, there may not be a focus on research in the medical school and you are screwed. I don't mean to sound so negative about it, but you would think that academically you are far above the average (and above average) undergraduate who is applying as well, but the fact is you're not seen in that light. Just don't be blindsided like I was last year. No matter what, good luck and don't give up. I assume you've finished your PhD so the last part you already have practice with.:thumbup:

The process is the same AND your undergraduate grades are still heavily weighted!!

PM me I am PhD to MD :)

The process is the same AND your undergraduate grades are still heavily weighted!!

PM me I am PhD to MD :)

me, too.

i think the phd does matter to the admission committees. so while it certainly does not make med school admission a slam dunk, it does make your file intriguing...at least initially. it might hurt you...it might help you, depending on the school and your reasons for the switch.

you will most likely have to fulfill the same requirements as everyone else, but your phd will put you in a different category as an applicant. oh, and do not count on your alma mater...i was waitlisted by mine.

Trust me when I tell you that your PhD means absolutly nothing to addmissions committees. I know that seems shocking since you have clearly shown drive, ambition, and the will to work hard, but they don't really care. I think in a lot of ways the PhD can hurt you. I'll also disagree with the previous poster that your PhD doesn't give you an great advantage on the MCAT. I feel like my training as a PhD actually inhibited my ability to "find" an answer since I would continually think of possible ways in which multiple answers could be the right one. The biology section of the MCAT would have what was supposed to be a western blot, but looked absolutly nothing like a western I've every run and I've done hundreds. I would like to tell you that you'll have no problem getting into medical school at your school you did your PhD, but that wasn't the case for me, but that really depends on where you went and who your mentor knows. If you're at a small school like I was, there may not be a focus on research in the medical school and you are screwed. I don't mean to sound so negative about it, but you would think that academically you are far above the average (and above average) undergraduate who is applying as well, but the fact is you're not seen in that light. Just don't be blindsided like I was last year. No matter what, good luck and don't give up. I assume you've finished your PhD so the last part you already have practice with.:thumbup:

Another PhD -->MD here (well, try to be one at least). My experience so far agrees with PHDMD2B; that is, AdCom do NOT care anything about your PhD, at least for preliminary screening (i.e. whether you will get interview invite or not) - it's sad to say this, but these days the preliminary screening is done by computers (it is impossible for AdCom to find enough people to read every single application at this stage I guess :( ), and that means everything is determined by NUMBERS. That is, if you got not-so-great MCAT/undergraduate GPA, then do NOT expect your PhD title can help you get to the interview stage - absolutely no way. In addition, it is true that you may NOT get love from the place you got your PhD, even if you are in a research-heavy school and your project is very clinical-related (i.e. disease models). Sorry to be this pessimistic, but it is just the brutal reality. Of course, once you advance to the interview stage, then your PhD status can generally help you here because now the AdCom will read your application more carefully and you can say a lot of things many pre-med kids cannot. Good luck!

me, too.

i think the phd does matter to the admission committees. so while it certainly does not make med school admission a slam dunk, it does make your file intriguing...at least initially. it might hurt you...it might help you, depending on the school and your reasons for the switch.

you will most likely have to fulfill the same requirements as everyone else, but your phd will put you in a different category as an applicant.
Agree with this.

OP, this subject has come up multiple times in the non-trad forum. I'm going to move your thread there so it doesn't get buried in a sea of UGs. :)

Apply to Duke.

You can graduate in 3 years if you have a PhD (they simply waiive the third year)

I applied during the last year of my PhD program. I think the PhD definitely helped me to get interviews (I applied to 29 schools and got 10 interviews, despite a 3.3 undergrad GPA). However, I felt that once I got to the interview stage I was on the same footing with everyone else. Some interviewers did seem to appreciate my background, while others seemed somewhat suspicious of why I wanted to go into medicine. I think it's sort of like being a career changer.

I did end up getting into two schools, one of which I'm very excited to be going to this fall (I deferred for a year). While having a PhD doesn't get you in, I do think it helps set you apart. Also, regarding the MCAT, I did feel that my science background helped with the MCAT, but I've always been good at standardized tests so maybe it didn't matter. ExamKrackers certainly was a big help.

PM me or reply to the thread if you have other questions.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about getting a Ph.D in the sciences and then going to medical school. I know it's an extremely long process but I wanted to see what exactly my options are? Is it easier to get in afterwards? Is the MCAT still required? Whats the process? WOuld it be easier for me to get into the medical school where I completed my graduate program?

From my understanding, this is almost impossible - or at the very least no easier than getting into medical school from outside. If you're interested in getting a Ph.D., many schools let you do that once you're in an M.D. program. If you're looking for a back door into medical school, I really doubt any self-respecting school would let you do that.

Edit: Sorry, were you talking about getting a Ph.D. first and then applying to medical school after completing it? It would take many years of your life - MD + Ph.d >> MD/PhD, and you would absolutely need to be published as a first author on a decent paper. If your overall goal is to get into medical school and you are thinking of a Ph.D. just to improve your chances, seriously reconsider. A masters or working a year or two in a lab or medical setting makes much more sense.

One of my professors did this, I guess it worked out ok for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
getting a PHD will not necessarily help you get into med school. If you want a phd, for whatever reason, you can get one, but most schools offer an MD/PHD program, however, thats different than getting a PHD on it's own. My dad got his Phd in genetics out of college, and then decided afterwards he didn't want to spend his life in a lab. Instead he decided to go into med school and become a family doctor, however, the phd did not help him get into med school. It's all about what you want. To me, unless you want to get a phd because you'll use it, there's absolutely no reason to get one. If you want to do research, look into md/phd programs or just get a phd and forget med school.

DON'T get a PhD and THEN go to med school. Do a MD/PhD program so that your schooling is paid for. You'll spend 3-5 more years in school while we laugh at you, and then you'll laugh at us because you're debt free while we pay off 200k and compete for residencies that are thrown at you.

If you can't get into a MD/PhD program, there are better ways to improve your app than doing a PhD. Unless it's a PhD in baroque harpsichord or cognitive psychology and you have a good story for why it's an asset, not a liability, to your future medical career.

DON'T get a PhD and THEN go to med school. Do a MD/PhD program so that your schooling is paid for. You'll spend 3-5 more years in school while we laugh at you, and then you'll laugh at us because you're debt free while we pay off 200k and compete for residencies that are thrown at you.

If you can't get into a MD/PhD program, there are better ways to improve your app than doing a PhD. Unless it's a PhD in baroque harpsichord or cognitive psychology and you have a good story for why it's an asset, not a liability, to your future medical career.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: This is a great response.

Yes, shoot for an MD/PhD. If your app isn't competitive enough, address whatever deficiencies you have. If you're lacking in research, take a year off, find a PI who's generous about letting students publish, and hop to it! If your grades need work, stick around your undergrad for an extra year taking upper div science classes and getting As or do a Post-Bacc program.

Oh, and the MCAT is absolutely still required!!!

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about getting a Ph.D in the sciences and then going to medical school.

Why yes. I did it. It blew. I'm one of the oldest PGY-2's around. Don't do it.

I am currently writing my dissertation (my focus area is developmental cardiology) and I will start med school in Aug at GW (95% sure on that). I think having a PhD gives you an edge.... I also believe publishing gives you an even greater edge. The MCAT wasn't bad....I think Grad School helped me to learn how to study smarter. I also recommend the MD/PhD program if you want to do both. But if you are well into your PhD program then I recommend that you finish it first. Just as a side note... My medical school interviewers were more interested in my grad school grades, publications, and awards then anything that I did in undergrad.

I am currently writing my dissertation (my focus area is developmental cardiology) and I will start med school in Aug at GW (95% sure on that). I think having a PhD gives you an edge.... I also believe publishing gives you an even greater edge. The MCAT wasn't bad....I think Grad School helped me to learn how to study smarter. I also recommend the MD/PhD program if you want to do both. But if you are well into your PhD program then I recommend that you finish it first. Just as a side note... My medical school interviewers were more interested in my grad school grades, publications, and awards then anything that I did in undergrad.

I'm glad things went as well for you as they did for me, but just to be clear, anyone who plans to do PhD -> MD is out of his/her f***ing mind.

I applied during the last year of my PhD program. I think the PhD definitely helped me to get interviews (I applied to 29 schools and got 10 interviews, despite a 3.3 undergrad GPA). However, I felt that once I got to the interview stage I was on the same footing with everyone else. Some interviewers did seem to appreciate my background, while others seemed somewhat suspicious of why I wanted to go into medicine. I think it's sort of like being a career changer.

I did end up getting into two schools, one of which I'm very excited to be going to this fall (I deferred for a year). While having a PhD doesn't get you in, I do think it helps set you apart. Also, regarding the MCAT, I did feel that my science background helped with the MCAT, but I've always been good at standardized tests so maybe it didn't matter. ExamKrackers certainly was a big help.

PM me or reply to the thread if you have other questions.
pseudo! How the hell are ya? I haven't seen you around in ages. Hope everything is going well w/ you. :)

true, but... Duke will only take people this route if they are of the caliber they would have taken for their own MSTP program.

Apply to Duke.

You can graduate in 3 years if you have a PhD (they simply waiive the third year)

Trust me when I tell you that your PhD means absolutly nothing to addmissions committees.

This was unfortunately very true for me as well. I think in general that MDs don't have a lot of respect for PhDs. They don't consider us to be "real doctors"

I'll also disagree with the previous poster that your PhD doesn't give you an great advantage on the MCAT. I feel like my training as a PhD actually inhibited my ability to "find" an answer since I would continually think of possible ways in which multiple answers could be the right one.

I found the same thing to be true. The biological and physical sciences questions are written at the level of undergraduate textbooks. Most PhDs in these fields will realize that there are usually exceptions and alternate explanations to many of the topics they cover in the exam.