From Podiatry to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SupaYeLLowDawg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I graduated from Notre Dame last year with a bad MCAT score, decent GPA...I decided to retake and then got into Barry's Post Bacc Program which is with their school of Podiatry...as of current I've only applied to DO schools because my MCAT retake was not as successful as I had hoped for.

Right now I have only heard from one school who has offered me an interview but it's not the school that I want (DO). I was wondering if anyone here has encounted a similar situation and what you would do in this case? The topic that I've chosen is because I was wondering if it would be okay if I went ahead and joined the school of Podiatry here and then reapplied to MD/DO programs since I have no idea what I would do after I graduate from Barry in August...

stressed, worried, and overworked...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

SupaYeLLowDawg said:
Okay, I graduated from Notre Dame last year with a bad MCAT score, decent GPA...I decided to retake and then got into Barry's Post Bacc Program which is with their school of Podiatry...as of current I've only applied to DO schools because my MCAT retake was not as successful as I had hoped for.

Right now I have only heard from one school who has offered me an interview but it's not the school that I want (DO). I was wondering if anyone here has encounted a similar situation and what you would do in this case? The topic that I've chosen is because I was wondering if it would be okay if I went ahead and joined the school of Podiatry here and then reapplied to MD/DO programs since I have no idea what I would do after I graduate from Barry in August...

Why not go to the DO school?

I don't see how going to the DPM school would be a better option....

Your question doesn't make much sense. You're doubting yourself even before you found out whether or not you've been accepted into the D.O. school. If you get in - GO!

And if you don't, why get the DPM? You'll be working 3-4 years again to get back into the same situation where you are now. Your best bet is to retake the MCAT if it doesn't work out for you this cycle. Why waste your time on a degree you don't want?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you should go to the DO school if you get in....I dont think it will help by getting a DPM first, then trying to apply to med school, I think that may actually hinder your chances....kind of like the same deal with going to nursing school first, then trying to the medical degree, the nursing degree seems to hinder their chances

Blue Scrub said:
Yeah you should go to the DO school if you get in....I dont think it will help by getting a DPM first, then trying to apply to med school, I think that may actually hinder your chances....kind of like the same deal with going to nursing school first, then trying to the medical degree, the nursing degree seems to hinder their chances

Not to mention being a waste of town.....if you are so set on being an MD, it is possible to transfer from DO to MD schools, since the classes are considered equivalent. It is NOT possible, however, to transfer from DPM schools to DO or MD schools....

It would be silly to transfer in any situation in my opinion, however.

I don't think he cares if it's MD or DO, since he only applied to DO schools in the first place. He must be interested. I just don't think he's heard back from that one school yet.

SupaYeLLowDawg said:

Taking the higher road - good choice

who's Barry? what makes him so qualified to run a post-bac program?

LVDoc said:
I don't think he cares if it's MD or DO, since he only applied to DO schools in the first place. He must be interested. I just don't think he's heard back from that one school yet.

right, exactly, what i'm saying is this...if i should apply to the school of podiatry and during my first year, retake the mcat at some point and THEN apply to medical school, i'm not saying to take 4 years in podiatry school and then pursue MD/DO...it is already march and I haven't heard back from any school yet!

doc05 said:

Barry University is a school not a person and it is a highly accredited program since it is run in conjunction with their school of podiatry which is pretty highly ranked. The school itself is very medically oriented running several other programs including nursing and PA, etc. just to name a few. In fact, if I were to apply to Podiatry school there and start next year, I would only be 2 classes behind a second year student since I am already taking classes with the first year school of podiatry minus classes such as Intro to Podiatry etc.

thanks everyone for your help but are there any other inputs to this hectic situation? :)

You really should not attend one professional program with the intention of not finishing and starting another.

Medical schools always want your to complete your current program of study before entering medical school. Ph.D. candidates, for example, are generally required to complete their doctorates before entering medical school. I don't think that medical schools would much like applicants that are already degree candidates for DPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
SupaYeLLowDawg said:
right, exactly, what i'm saying is this...if i should apply to the school of podiatry and during my first year, retake the mcat at some point and THEN apply to medical school, i'm not saying to take 4 years in podiatry school and then pursue MD/DO...it is already march and I haven't heard back from any school yet!

Many med schools woud not accept you without you completing the DPM program. You can't just drop out of a program to start medical school. Most of the time, they won't even let you drop out of a master's program.

This would be a very bad idea. Do a one year post-bacc.

SupaYeLLowDawg said:

How would that help? Do a masters', don't start a DPM with the intention of dropping out. Besides, the quality of podiatry programs is not as strong as MD/DO programs, so doing well in the first year of podiatry school wouldn't do much to help your application anyway! Do a SMP if you feel it necessary...

I dont see a point in joining the DPM program for 1 year, retaking your MCAT, and then reapplying to med school...seems like a waste of money and time....I am guessing you plan on not putting the DPM program on your AMCAS when you reapply?....if you do, however, med schools wont look at it favorably that you are currently in the DPM program...they will wonder why you applied in the first place....and also why you dont plan on finishing the program

doc05 said:

nice one :laugh: :laugh:

I guess another thing I should add is, what are my options now when I'm done with this post bacc program?!

look around.. i bet you can find a 1 yr masters in a field you are interested in... reapply.. retake the MCAT.. hopefully you will improve and get accepted.. good luck..

edit: here is some more information...

do not enter another professional program hoping to apply again.. this looks really bad.

here is one program i found in a couple seconds of searching to give you an idea.. http://cell.tulane.edu/graduate.htm#Masters Requirements ..i have a friend who did the program at georgetown and he did really well in medical school..

you may find this thread useful... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178471&page=1

SupaYeLLowDawg said:
I guess another thing I should add is, what are my options now when I'm done with this post bacc program?!

reapply.....work full time while you wait

To the OP:

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do the program. If this is a post-bac program, designed for 1 year of course-work, then it is a great idea. I did the IMS program at Drexel, which sounds very similar to what you're talking about at Barry U. There were a few people in my program who went on to dental school. Depending on the med school that you wind up at, you may or may not be able to get credit for your coursework. It really depends on your school. But remember, if you repeat classes, then you'll almost certainly do well in the classes, and actually learn the material, which is great for step 1. I only exempted from 1 first year class, and it made my first year so much better.

Don't forget that studying for the MCAT while in a post-bac program can be very difficult. There were 2 people who did it from my post-bac class, and I think it really pushed them to their limits. Depending on how low it is(<25-26 for DO school, 30 for MD), you should either take it this summer or, if you don't mind waiting 2 years to start med school, take it after your post-bac program. Taking it after your program affords you the opportunity to have a full year of learning how to answer questions at a much more diffucult level. It will make MCAT questions seem much easier.

Also, post-bac programs where you are compared against doctorate students can be very difficult to do well. Make sure you understand how people do in the program before enrolling in it. Good luck!

i second the idea to work for the year. your GPA is good so you don't need to take more classes. you need to be able to focus on the MCAT and any academic work will be a distraction. if you really want to be productive during the year, i would try to land a job working in a lab where you have the possibility of publishing. talking about research in the interview can help a lot, as can a publication (the paper probably won't be published before your interview, but being published can help you down the road).

I agree with the above posts....find a full or part-time job and save up some money in the meantime