1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

From teaching to medschool! HELP!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by adismo, May 15, 2000.

1. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

ok, this is for you x-teachers in medschool:

is it possible to go from non-credentialed (i.e. waiver) full-time teacher into medschool. in other words, will medschools accept you even thou you applied for a waiver (which usually stipulates that you will do eventually do a credentialing program); isnt there a conflict of interest / ethics issue here? thanks for any replies!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

adismo--

I am an ex-teacher who is applying to med school right now. I understand your question--a few of my teaching colleagues went that route.

To answer it--It does seem like a conflict of interests to the nitpicker, but in all honesty, I can't picture that schools will pick up on it, or even find out unless you (or one of your rec-letter writers, perhaps) point it out.

Most docs won't know the ins and outs of getting a teaching license.
    A more likely question that you would have to answer is "Why did you leave teaching so quickly?" In fact, I can guarantee that you will have that one.

4. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the answer, I hoped the teaching wouldnt be such a drag when I apply. Per the question you mentioned, its because of the limited payscale. Good luck with your apps.