1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

From teaching to medschool! HELP!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by adismo, May 15, 2000.

1. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

ok, this is for you x-teachers in medschool:

is it possible to go from non-credentialed (i.e. waiver) full-time teacher into medschool. in other words, will medschools accept you even thou you applied for a waiver (which usually stipulates that you will do eventually do a credentialing program); isnt there a conflict of interest / ethics issue here? thanks for any replies!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

adismo--

I am an ex-teacher who is applying to med school right now. I understand your question--a few of my teaching colleagues went that route.

To answer it--It does seem like a conflict of interests to the nitpicker, but in all honesty, I can't picture that schools will pick up on it, or even find out unless you (or one of your rec-letter writers, perhaps) point it out.

Most docs won't know the ins and outs of getting a teaching license.
    A more likely question that you would have to answer is "Why did you leave teaching so quickly?" In fact, I can guarantee that you will have that one.

4. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the answer, I hoped the teaching wouldnt be such a drag when I apply. Per the question you mentioned, its because of the limited payscale. Good luck with your apps.