From the US (gulp); Anti-American Sentiment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rannie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its been a few years since I have been back to Oz, though I married an Australian so it's never far from my heart. I will be applying to Australian Graduate-entry medicine this year and I had two specific Questions:

#1) Does anyone know roughly how many international applicants apply to a particular school versus how many are accepted? Rough estimates welcome, I am just trying to get a feel for the competition.

#2) How is the general feeling toward Americans at this point? I am not rich, I am not a Western elitess, I loathe Bush and I would like to think myself an Ozzie at heart, but alas my passport does say USA. I read some previous threads concerning this subject and it seemed a bit bleak. I am wondering if this might hurt my chances at a place? What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will hurt at all in the selection process. But be prepared to cop a bit of good natured ribbing about being American, US policies, GW etc.

Yeah, its all said in jest but I think my American friends get a bit fed up with it. I've never seen anyone be actually nasty to any Americans though, and I am sure it wont affect your chances for selection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, my husband is relentless in teasing me, so I think I got that one...appreciate the help

The Aussie penchant for taking down the "tall poppies" is well known. Please don't take it seriously - Australians may not like Bush but they realize that he and his government are not the American citizens.

The teasing you get from your husband is likely what you'll get down under; not serious but like with a small boy, if you react to it - that's FUN, so it will continue.

Keep your cool and laugh along with them. Self-deprecation is highly appreciated as well.