from your own experience/perspective, your opinions on my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellantro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to only 1 Cali school (Stanford) and was able to interview there as a non-Cali resident and non-Cali medical student. I'm only speaking from my own experience.

Step 1 score is good.
As far as I'm concerned, the name of the school (top tier, etc.) means very little. I'm not from a top tier med school and I've met a lot of applicants on the trail interview at the same top rated residency programs who were not from top tier schools. What I mean by this is that a name will not guarantee an applicant to a residency in the face of poor academic performance.
Grades are ok. I'm not sure how the pass in peds will affect you. I'd ask my school acadmic advisor.
AOA is only icing on the cake. I'm not AOA and got an early interview offer at Stanford.
Research is not necessary but is a plus (my own bias).

I would take step 2 if you think you can really do well. Otherwise, I'd wait.

Have you interviewed at Stanford yet or are you waiting on an interview offer?

Good luck!

p.s. Finally got my Step 2 CS and am relieved to say that I not only passed but will not have to fork over $950 again for that exam.

a solid step 2 score won't hurt but i think more importantly you should do your sub-i early in the year and rock it. Get LORs that are going to say how hard of a worker you are. You sound like you have a solid application besides the Pass in peds.

Z