Frontal eye field destruction symptom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRealistic

Reaction score
Hi,

"Destructive lesions such as an MCA stroke will cause eys to look toward the side of the lesion. OR at the hemiplegia". I don't understand. If the lesion is right frontal eye fields due to MCA stroke, why would you look to the left (side of hemiplegia?) Shouldn't you look towards the lesion, i.e. right? Feels ambivalent.

Members don't see this ad.

Destructive lesions of the frontal eye field --> Eyes move towards side of FEF lesion (in other words away from the hemiplegia)
Irritative lesions of the frontal eye field --> Eyes move away from the side of FEF lesion

Basically the job of FEF is to get both the eyes to look towards the opposite side. In destructive lesions (loss of function) the eyes move towards the FEF lesion. An irritative lesion (inappropriate stimulation) would cause them to move away.

Destructive lesions of the frontal eye field --> Eyes move towards side of FEF lesion (in other words away from the hemiplegia)
Irritative lesions of the frontal eye field --> Eyes move away from the side of FEF lesion

Basically the job of FEF is to get both the eyes to look towards the opposite side. In destructive lesions (loss of function) the eyes move towards the FEF lesion. An irritative lesion (inappropriate stimulation) would cause them to move away.

Exactly, you said that the eyes would look away from the hemiplegia in a destructive lesion. However, FA says that in a destructive lesion, the eyes would look at the hemiplegia side and not away from it. This was not even in the errata. So FA error huh?

I'm using the 2018 edition and there's no mention of the hemiplegia part in it, just that they look towards the side of the lesion. I'm assuming you're referencing to the 2019 one?