Frustration with studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlammedNation

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in the library and I've been preparing for an exam for the past week or so, and I've become to frustrated with studying that studying right now is becoming rather difficult. I am getting headaches when trying to write down notes/ or write flashcards, information is streaming in and out of my brain as I read it, unable to retain any information. I'm becoming extremely overwhelmed as the exam is on Friday, and I need a high score to score an A in the course. I'm just extremely stressed out at this point, and it's only one exam. I've spent excessive hours in the library (probably over 20 in the past 3-4 days) I still don't feel I've learned half the material and I fear for the upcoming week as I have 3 exams in the span of 3 days. I'm not sure if this post is me venting or asking for advice but any comments are welcomed and appreciated. I'm not sure if I'm just demotivated or trying too hard to cram the material in my head but this exam is not looking too promising.
Thanks for listening, I appreciate you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friend,

Have you been studying on your own? Maybe study with some friends for a bit to blow off steam, while being somewhat productive. May I ask what exam you are studying for? Sounds like you just need someone to listen to you vent. Hows your day?

Reactions: 2 users
Hello friend,

Have you been studying on your own? Maybe study with some friends for a bit to blow off steam, while being somewhat productive. May I ask what exam you are studying for? Sounds like you just need someone to listen to you vent. Hows your day?
Hey PhilzCoffeeAddict,

I'm currently studying for Genetics, and the information is basic stuff that you've learned in any biology course (DNA, Histones, DNA replication, and such). I know it's easy material but my brain is just rejecting anything at this point. I'm beginning to think I'm mildly sleep deprived, and it's hindering my performance. I have no time to add additional sleep to my schedule, as time is running out. As for the group study, I currently have no ties to anyone in the course, so I am unable to study in a group.

My day has started pretty decent, as I woke up incredibly tired, but I went to get coffee after my 3 morning classes; hoping it'd put me in good shape to study. Thanks for reaching out, I guess I'm just procrastinating at this point, but thanks for the consideration!

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you could really use a break. Make sure you take some time for yourself to decompress and do something you enjoy, eat, sleep, and even exercise. Even a small break will help. Studying non-stop, especially if you're not eating and sleeping well enough, will just make you even more unproductive and frustrated.

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like you could really use a break. Make sure you take some time for yourself to decompress and do something you enjoy, eat, sleep, and even exercise. Even a small break will help. Studying non-stop, especially if you're not eating and sleeping well enough, will just make you even more unproductive and frustrated.
Hello Oso,

Thanks for the reply. I have considered breaks, but very small ones, as I have a lot of material to revise in a short period of time. I've walked around the library and gone outside but neither seems to work. I think maybe an extensive break may be necessary at this point, or I will be even more unproductive.

Take a quick break! My breaks usually involve fast food... haha. Love me some Taco Bell (Chalupas and Baja Blast!). Its "disgustingly delicious"! haha.

You need to make some friends with people in class. Having peers around to lighten the mood up during break times makes for better and more efficient study time. Grinding constantly leads to burnout easily. Do what you gotta do for this exam, but mingle with your classmates and get in on some study groups for future exams and finals. My preferred method of study is independent studying followed by group quizzing. We'll come up with wacky and ridiculously challenging questions that made sure we were very comfortable with material. I.e. explain how DNA replication works from start to finish (throws expo marker at the poor victim who has 2-3 minutes to draw and explain).

Reactions: 1 user
Take a good, long break. My favorite way to "re-charge" is to workout and then pick up my favorite meal (with dessert!). Also, when you're studying, try switching up your technique every 30 minutes or so--- read the book, use flashcards, draw out diagrams, re-write notes--- to stop yourself from sinking into that mode where you're not retaining anything. Another silly study trick of mine is forcing myself to smile and think of it all as a game I'm determined to win rather than just torture and misery.

You've got this!

Reactions: 1 users
Take a quick break! My breaks usually involve fast food... haha. Love me some Taco Bell (Chalupas and Baja Blast!). Its "disgustingly delicious"! haha.

You need to make some friends with people in class. Having peers around to lighten the mood up during break times makes for better and more efficient study time. Grinding constantly leads to burnout easily. Do what you gotta do for this exam, but mingle with your classmates and get in on some study groups for future exams and finals. My preferred method of study is independent studying followed by group quizzing. We'll come up with wacky and ridiculously challenging questions that made sure we were very comfortable with material. I.e. explain how DNA replication works from start to finish (throws expo marker at the poor victim who has 2-3 minutes to draw and explain).

Take a good, long break. My favorite way to "re-charge" is to workout and then pick up my favorite meal (with dessert!). Also, when you're studying, try switching up your technique every 30 minutes or so--- read the book, use flashcards, draw out diagrams, re-write notes--- to stop yourself from sinking into that mode where you're not retaining anything. Another silly study trick of mine is forcing myself to smile and think of it all as a game I'm determined to win rather than just torture and misery.

You've got this!

Thank you guys! Going for it again after getting something to eat.

We’ve all been there! I agree on the friends thing... everyday I tell myself I wouldn’t be able to get through college without my friends by my side. I’m grateful for that. Also, do you listen to music whil studying? I usually do if I realize I’m getting distracted or bored or just staring at my notes. Of course, if music is the thing that distracts you then don’t do that haha. Grab a coffee, think about your final goal (getting an A), visualize yourself going into the exam and slaying. Positive thoughts are hard in times like these, but they work!!!

Best of luck! You got this :)

Reactions: 1 users
We’ve all been there! I agree on the friends thing... everyday I tell myself I wouldn’t be able to get through college without my friends by my side. I’m grateful for that. Also, do you listen to music whil studying? I usually do if I realize I’m getting distracted or bored or just staring at my notes. Of course, if music is the thing that distracts you then don’t do that haha. Grab a coffee, think about your final goal (getting an A), visualize yourself going into the exam and slaying. Positive thoughts are hard in times like these, but they work!!!

Best of luck! You got this :)
Hi PopeKnope98!

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I do not listen to music when I study, as I deem it to be very distracting. After going out to eat for about an hour or so, I was able to regain focus and study way more efficiently (even in my bedroom where I would never dare to study because of distractions!)
I appreciate your reply and your concern!

Reactions: 1 user