christinejane19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Status (Visible)
ok.. I sent my aacomas in on june 23, and it was processed soon after. i have now received a bunch (7 or so) of secondaries and am in the process of completing them. My LORS from school are all ready to go.

I CAN'T, however, for the life of me, find a D.O. who will let me shadow/write me a rec. I have contacted so many of them and they either dont call me back or turn me down. I dont know what to do. This is the only thing keeping my applications from being complete. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Southeastern, Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
christinejane19 said:
ok.. I sent my aacomas in on june 23, and it was processed soon after. i have now received a bunch (7 or so) of secondaries and am in the process of completing them. My LORS from school are all ready to go.

I CAN'T, however, for the life of me, find a D.O. who will let me shadow/write me a rec. I have contacted so many of them and they either dont call me back or turn me down. I dont know what to do. This is the only thing keeping my applications from being complete. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

You might just want to pick up a phone book and start dialin'. Sounds crummy, but there has to be a physician eager out there to have someone shadow them. Even if you acll docs and they say no, you won't have to talk to him again anyway. Just give it a shot today and try a couple people in your city. I shadowed a D.O. about a month ago for one day ands she wrote me a letter. Sorry, to make a side question - but if this D.O. attended the school that I wish to go to, could it carry more weight (MSUCOM)?

Thanks and good luck!

About the Ads

Lady Tokimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
dr.z said:
I applied and got accepted without any experiences with DO. It isn't end of the world.

Ok, how did you do that?? I know only a few schools that do not require that you submit a LOR from a DO. Which school did you get accepted into? PCOM?

Otherwise, when did you get excepted??? in what year?

Kubed

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Oh me-o, oh my-o, oh-Cleveland, Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Lady Tokimi said:
Ok, how did you do that?? I know only a few schools that do not require that you submit a LOR from a DO. Which school did you get accepted into? PCOM?

Otherwise, when did you get excepted??? in what year?

Only a few schools require a letter fom a DO. Most want one, and recommend highly that you get one, but they will take a LOR from a MD. The challenge becomes explaining why you want to be a DO so bad with no DO shadowing experience.

Kubed

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Oh me-o, oh my-o, oh-Cleveland, Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
christinejane19 said:
...I CAN'T, however, for the life of me, find a D.O. who will let me shadow/write me a rec. I have contacted so many of them and they either dont call me back or turn me down. I dont know what to do. This is the only thing keeping my applications from being complete. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

This is just terrible. Every DO I have talked to, like ever, has offered to let me tag along. What city/state are you in? Have you tried talking to you state’s osteopathic medical association? Most will find you a local DO to shadow.

larke28

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
sorry you've had such a difficult time finding a DO to shadow. Personally, everyone I contacted were very responsive and enthusiastic. Here are the sites I used:

try this site first, the ppl listed here signed up to be mentors to students so would likely be more receptive to shadowing & questions.
http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/Mentor_exchange.htm

AOA members
http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

site search for MDs & DOs in MA, I'm sure other states have something similar; do a search for your state and the medical board or something to that effect.
http://profiles.massmedboard.org/Profiles/MA-Physician-Profile-Find-Doctor.asp

Good Luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.