Frustrations from ACEP

Started by Joejitsu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Joejitsu

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was in New Orleans for ACEP this year and something in particular really got to me. I am a senior resident in So Cal and as such I went to the job fair inquiring about So Cal jobs. Born and raised here and plan on staying here. I heard so many people with stuff like, "uh yeah...i'm from Maine, but i think i would like to move to southern california..." First of all, what in the heck makes you want to come in here and drive salaries down even further?? Just because you watch the OC? Give me a break! Don't get me wrong, I understand basically that living in Maine sucks, but why don't you move to New York or something. Or even Florida?? Traffic already sucks here without you taking another spot on the 405. Housing is already too expensive without me (lived here all my freakin life) having to compete with you (NEVER been here) to drive up the price of a house?!? Sheesh! Finally, it's all about supply and demand and when you come in to SoCal and drive down wages we ALL suffer.

Phew...glad to get that all off my chest... lol. Sorry if anyone from Maine took offense, it's not just you guys.
 
So I was in New Orleans for ACEP this year and something in particular really got to me. I am a senior resident in So Cal and as such I went to the job fair inquiring about So Cal jobs. Born and raised here and plan on staying here. I heard so many people with stuff like, "uh yeah...i'm from Maine, but i think i would like to move to southern california..." First of all, what in the heck makes you want to come in here and drive salaries down even further?? Just because you watch the OC? Give me a break! Don't get me wrong, I understand basically that living in Maine sucks, but why don't you move to New York or something. Or even Florida?? Traffic already sucks here without you taking another spot on the 405. Housing is already too expensive without me (lived here all my freakin life) having to compete with you (NEVER been here) to drive up the price of a house?!? Sheesh! Finally, it's all about supply and demand and when you come in to SoCal and drive down wages we ALL suffer.

Phew...glad to get that all off my chest... lol. Sorry if anyone from Maine took offense, it's not just you guys.

So you have issues with people who want to move?
🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was in New Orleans for ACEP this year and something in particular really got to me. I am a senior resident in So Cal and as such I went to the job fair inquiring about So Cal jobs. Born and raised here and plan on staying here. I heard so many people with stuff like, "uh yeah...i'm from Maine, but i think i would like to move to southern california..." First of all, what in the heck makes you want to come in here and drive salaries down even further?? Just because you watch the OC? Give me a break! Don't get me wrong, I understand basically that living in Maine sucks, but why don't you move to New York or something. Or even Florida?? Traffic already sucks here without you taking another spot on the 405. Housing is already too expensive without me (lived here all my freakin life) having to compete with you (NEVER been here) to drive up the price of a house?!? Sheesh! Finally, it's all about supply and demand and when you come in to SoCal and drive down wages we ALL suffer.

Phew...glad to get that all off my chest... lol. Sorry if anyone from Maine took offense, it's not just you guys.

I agree with you. The problem with California is that too many people live there. Of course, my solution is entirely different than yours.
 
So I was in New Orleans for ACEP this year and something in particular really got to me. I am a senior resident in So Cal and as such I went to the job fair inquiring about So Cal jobs. Born and raised here and plan on staying here. I heard so many people with stuff like, "uh yeah...i'm from Maine, but i think i would like to move to southern california..." First of all, what in the heck makes you want to come in here and drive salaries down even further?? Just because you watch the OC? Give me a break! Don't get me wrong, I understand basically that living in Maine sucks, but why don't you move to New York or something. Or even Florida?? Traffic already sucks here without you taking another spot on the 405. Housing is already too expensive without me (lived here all my freakin life) having to compete with you (NEVER been here) to drive up the price of a house?!? Sheesh! Finally, it's all about supply and demand and when you come in to SoCal and drive down wages we ALL suffer.

Phew...glad to get that all off my chest... lol. Sorry if anyone from Maine took offense, it's not just you guys.


I had the opposite problem. Living in exile from my family in CA for the last 7 years, I had a pet-peeve with my fellow CA expats who whined every minute of med school about how awful it was to wear a wool coat and all the other CA whinos who couldn't bear the thought of leaving CA for residency... :laugh: But since admitting that my bitterness is rooted in pride, I've been getting less bitter every day... 😀 fondly remembering some of my typical 5mph CA freeway commutes helps too... haha

on another note, I heard the EMRA job fair was a bit wimpy this year...
 
So I was in New Orleans for ACEP this year and something in particular really got to me. I am a senior resident in So Cal and as such I went to the job fair inquiring about So Cal jobs. Born and raised here and plan on staying here. I heard so many people with stuff like, "uh yeah...i'm from Maine, but i think i would like to move to southern california..." First of all, what in the heck makes you want to come in here and drive salaries down even further?? Just because you watch the OC? Give me a break! Don't get me wrong, I understand basically that living in Maine sucks, but why don't you move to New York or something. Or even Florida?? Traffic already sucks here without you taking another spot on the 405. Housing is already too expensive without me (lived here all my freakin life) having to compete with you (NEVER been here) to drive up the price of a house?!? Sheesh! Finally, it's all about supply and demand and when you come in to SoCal and drive down wages we ALL suffer.

Phew...glad to get that all off my chest... lol. Sorry if anyone from Maine took offense, it's not just you guys.


WHOA,

Have you ever driven in Miami. Please don't make it more crowded down here.😉
 
Oh yeah, and it balances out. Plenty of CA people have driven up the price of property and the commute times everywhere else. That is just market economics. Flight from the big cities all over the country has been driving up the price of other places for decades. You should see what we in Florida did to North Carolina.
 
I don't want to even mention illegal immigants to this guy...sheesh...

lol, no definitely not. Me in spanish: "so let me get this straight, you are 45 years old, you have lived here in the USA for 26 years and you speak ZERO English?" Yeah...great...
 
so what are the s. cali incomes in EM like? I imagine that it's not just supply and demand, but the ton of uninsured peeps you have.
 
So I was in New Orleans for ACEP this year and something in particular really got to me. I am a senior resident in So Cal and as such I went to the job fair inquiring about So Cal jobs. Born and raised here and plan on staying here. I heard so many people with stuff like, "uh yeah...i'm from Maine, but i think i would like to move to southern california..." First of all, what in the heck makes you want to come in here and drive salaries down even further?? Just because you watch the OC? Give me a break! Don't get me wrong, I understand basically that living in Maine sucks, but why don't you move to New York or something. Or even Florida?? Traffic already sucks here without you taking another spot on the 405. Housing is already too expensive without me (lived here all my freakin life) having to compete with you (NEVER been here) to drive up the price of a house?!? Sheesh! Finally, it's all about supply and demand and when you come in to SoCal and drive down wages we ALL suffer.

Phew...glad to get that all off my chest... lol. Sorry if anyone from Maine took offense, it's not just you guys.

LOL.. good laugh.. I needed it.
 
so what are the s. cali incomes in EM like? I imagine that it's not just supply and demand, but the ton of uninsured peeps you have.


With bonuses and such it seems like most jobs will pay about 150/hr averaged out. Base pay may be 120, but then most places give different types of bonuses that bring the number up. Obviously if you want to work in a more secluded less desireable area like palm springs you can bring closer to 200/hr. But if you wanna live in OC or LA it's closer to 130 ish.
 
With bonuses and such it seems like most jobs will pay about 150/hr averaged out. Base pay may be 120, but then most places give different types of bonuses that bring the number up. Obviously if you want to work in a more secluded less desireable area like palm springs you can bring closer to 200/hr. But if you wanna live in OC or LA it's closer to 130 ish.

And you are complaining? Dont worry in the next 10 yrs the pay will be way down.. most of the docs moving there are young and that will drive salaries way down.
 
And you are complaining? Dont worry in the next 10 yrs the pay will be way down.. most of the docs moving there are young and that will drive salaries way down.

Of course, a lot of guys are pulling 220 in tx. That's a lot of bread
 
I agree with you. The problem with California is that too many people live there. Of course, my solution is entirely different than yours.

Amen!

I can a huge house on many acres in Texas for less than I could a decent sized townhome in LA. And breath fresh air. And avoid living in my car.

On second thought, Texas sucks. It's a horrible place to live and work. Don't move here. Seriously. Fear it.

Take care,
Jeff
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was in New Orleans for ACEP this year and something in particular really got to me. I am a senior resident in So Cal and as such I went to the job fair inquiring about So Cal jobs. Born and raised here and plan on staying here. I heard so many people with stuff like, "uh yeah...i'm from Maine, but i think i would like to move to southern california..." First of all, what in the heck makes you want to come in here and drive salaries down even further?? Just because you watch the OC? Give me a break! Don't get me wrong, I understand basically that living in Maine sucks, but why don't you move to New York or something. Or even Florida?? Traffic already sucks here without you taking another spot on the 405. Housing is already too expensive without me (lived here all my freakin life) having to compete with you (NEVER been here) to drive up the price of a house?!? Sheesh! Finally, it's all about supply and demand and when you come in to SoCal and drive down wages we ALL suffer.

Phew...glad to get that all off my chest... lol. Sorry if anyone from Maine took offense, it's not just you guys.


Youre kidding right?
 
Flight from the big cities all over the country has been driving up the price of other places for decades. You should see what we in Florida did to North Carolina.

😡 If you guys weren't technically southern, we would have made you leave a long time ago. I hope the BBQ gives you heartburn...🙄
 
Worry not. That Maine graduate will take one look at Southern California housing prices, have a heart attack, and no longer be a threat to move to LA. I thought it was ridiculous when I moved here 3 years ago. The house I bought has just about doubled since then. A new grad could perhaps afford a decent condo somewhere not too close to the beach in LA now.