FSU COM c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunnerMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else interview on 11/4?

Members don't see this ad.

aww thanks! I don't know how I missed it. Too bad there's noone else in here lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in, now we're three. As you already know from the Fla thread, I'm interviewing Jan 20th, next friday. I'm about to burst with excitement.

Anyways, keep the FSU thread alive!!!!! :thumbup:

I'm interviewing there next Friday, the 27th.

Zeppelin900 said:
Count me in, now we're three. As you already know from the Fla thread, I'm interviewing Jan 20th, next friday. I'm about to burst with excitement.

Anyways, keep the FSU thread alive!!!!! :thumbup:

is anyone looking for an awesome roommate for this next year?? i haven't been able to find any forums for roommate matching yet w/ med students @ fsu so i thought i'd try here.. i'm about 99% positive that fsucom is where I want to end up even though i'm waiting on a bunch of other apps.. so let me know if you're interested!!
-diana

Dr. Diana I wish I could be your roomate but I'm still in the waiting list. Besides I'm a guy mmwwwhahahaha :smuggrin: . There are alot of us here waiting for FSU to start reviewing the applicaitons on hold. Anyways, good luck in your search. By the way, what impressed you the most about FSU?

Seeya.

Zeppelin900 said:
Dr. Diana I wish I could be your roomate but I'm still in the waiting list. Besides I'm a guy mmwwwhahahaha :smuggrin: . There are alot of us here waiting for FSU to start reviewing the applicaitons on hold. Anyways, good luck in your search. By the way, what impressed you the most about FSU?

Seeya.

hmm.. well, i think the faculty and staff especially that have come into tallahassee are pretty great people. they're in tally on a mission to make a great allopathic med school that produces great physicians which i think says a lot about their personalities. it's also a situation that has received an incredible amount of funding and has shown the momentum to continue improving their resources. all of the technology that they have the capability to immediately incorporate into their learning environment is a pretty amazing and unique situation. i also am really drawn to the way that they've set up their curriculum. i like that you are able to get clinical experiences from your first year on. i also really like that they have employed a community based teaching model for the 3rd and 4th yr. clinical rotations. that one on one opportunity with the attending is pretty neat.
i actually interviewed at a school that was basically the complete opposite of fsucom (indiana university). they actually tried to quantify how they would create compassionate physicians in current coursework with a 50pg manual. (not kidding) i asked a 2nd yr med student what kind of clinical experience she had received so far and she told me about a class where they learned about a case study of a disease and thought that was a sufficient answer to my question(seriously!!!!). the college was trying to make a push that they were trying to produce compassionate physicians but nowhere in their secondary application or in the interview did they screen applicants to see if they cared about people or ask me what kind of clinical experiences i've had. i dunno, maybe it had to do with the fact that they are the only med school in the entire state and could get away with it. they also had budget problems apparently and had cut the medical library's hours down to noon-5pm mon-fri!!! also, the friendliness and personal nature of fsucom wasn't there.
my impressions of other florida schools so far: i think usf's greatest strengths are their incorporation of clinical exposure and also the multiple teachign hospitals in the tampa area. fsu has addressed providing immediate clinical exposure, and i was told that they had done a better job at this but i can't remember how or why... um has similar strengths and their incorporation of technology is impressive but i think that fsu has had the ability to technologically pass them by. fsu and uf both have smaller population draws for clinical rotation 'experiences" but fsu has the satellite campus options to learn in heavier areas. an advantage that uf and um both have is their extensive research capabilities. i would guess that fsu is probably smallest in research for the state's allopathic schools. i'm not sure how much this transfers over to the quality of my medical education however, since i'm a gator now and have been pretty extensively involved in research at uf and never was taught something that wasn't already published. i think current studies might have been mentioned but the golden standard was always comparing what was published. also, in my experiences, researchers at different institutions are aware of what is going on with colleagues in other places so i dont feel as though i'd be out of the loop. i also am not interested in going into research. so, i guess these are a couple of my opinions so far as to why i'm leaning towards fsucom.

anyone else have any thoughts on fla schools?

Does anybody know anything about FSU's early orientation (ie when it is??)

I believe FSU's orientation is on april 14th and classes start May 30th... there goes your summer

Seriously! Oh well, hopefully it really will make the fall semester much easier...

Hey, so anyone know where some nice apartments are located in Tally? I want to live somwhere close that isnt over populated by undergrads.

Turquoisey said:
Hey, so anyone know where some nice apartments are located in Tally? I want to live somwhere close that isnt over populated by undergrads.

Hey,

Depending on your budget, there are some really nice apartment homes out in the Southwood development section called Twin Oaks
http://www.twinoaksatsouthwood.com/ContactUs.htm.

It is a little far from campus (20-25 mins) but it is a really nice secluded neighborhood.

during undergrad, I lived in Polos on Park, they were considered "far" from school (but actually it was about a 5-10 minute drive (remember that Tallahassee isn't that big of a city), they weren't over-run with undergrads, but there were a couple. Mostly it was young professionals, some law students, and one of my professors actually lived there as well. Rent was also reasonable.

Baps said:
I believe FSU's orientation is on april 14th and classes start May 30th... there goes your summer

Do classes literally start May 30th? Or is that the starting date for late orientation?