FSUCOM with a low MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

app07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone thought I had any chance at FSU with a 25S (had low verbal, 7) or even USF for that matter. I have research publications and volunteering/clinical work, president of a few organizations, shadowed 3 doctors including one for 3 months, UF undergrad. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone thought I had any chance at FSU with a 25S (had low verbal, 7) or even USF for that matter. I have research publications and volunteering/clinical work, president of a few organizations, shadowed 3 doctors including one for 3 months, UF undergrad. Thanks!

if you are an under represented minority maybe a chance at FSU, but otherwise, its not looking good, you should take the MCAT again

A friend of mine at FSUCOM told me that they have really increased an emphasis on MCATS and that the average score this upcoming year in the MSAR would jump to 28-29. He also mentioned a friend of his with a score of 25, perfect profile of an FSU applicant, but was not offered acceptance due to the low mcat. Basically, take it again and score at least a 27-28.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also suggest to take it again, but you do have a chance at FSU. Only last year did they have an average still at 26 (I'm guessing because they're relatively new and wanted to build from somewhere), and they can't expect it to go up to a 29 in one year (in my opinion). So you have a shot, though your chances would be better if your score were a bit increased.

I am NJ resident can i apply there?

By the way I forgot to mention I had a 3.98 gpa, i dont know how much that will help with the low mcat, but i failed to mention it.

By the way I forgot to mention I had a 3.98 gpa, i dont know how much that will help with the low mcat, but i failed to mention it.

When I first took the MCAT, I had a 24Q. I retook the MCAT in August and only increased to a 27R. However, since then I have been accepted to both FSU and USF (the only two allopathic schools I applied to). I also had a high GPA (3.91) which helped a lot. Bottom line, taking the MCAT again and inproving your score by a few points will greatly increase your chances of getting in to those schools. Good luck!

to op
just remember that FSU is one of those few schools required Biochemistry course to be taken before Matriculation

I know someone who got in with a 3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT. And it looks like they probably won't take me (with a 3.6, 32 MCAT), so yeah, they're also pretty big on the people they accept fitting a certain kind of mold, regardless of their numbers. Make sure to say you'll devote your life to FP if you get an interview- it should win you points. (and thats something i heard from the admissions office of another florida med school, btw)

Nice to see this thread ... I'm hoping to get some input from all of you.

I am currently on the FSU CoM Hold List, and am hoping something will happen in the next 14 days ... with the following stats:

ºMCAT = 27 T :rolleyes:

ºGPA = 3.6 (Cum Laude)

ºShadow = 5 years with a local Pedi-ER doc :D

ºResearch = 2 years with a marine drug discovery lab; 1 publication pending

ºLanguages = fluent Spanish, near fluent French

ºExtra-Curric's = chem TA, shadowing, translator at a Charity Clinic

Anyway ... just hoping to get some honest input from you guys ... and that FSU may show me some love soon! Speaking of which ... anybody gotten some love yet off their HOLD list? I've scoured SDN and not found a single claim of it ... yet.

Nice to see this thread ... I'm hoping to get some input from all of you.

I am currently on the FSU CoM Hold List, and am hoping something will happen in the next 14 days ... with the following stats:

ºMCAT = 27 T :rolleyes:

ºGPA = 3.6 (Cum Laude)

ºShadow = 5 years with a local Pedi-ER doc :D

ºResearch = 2 years with a marine drug discovery lab; 1 publication pending

ºLanguages = fluent Spanish, near fluent French

ºExtra-Curric's = chem TA, shadowing, translator at a Charity Clinic

Anyway ... just hoping to get some honest input from you guys ... and that FSU may show me some love soon! Speaking of which ... anybody gotten some love yet off their HOLD list? I've scoured SDN and not found a single claim of it ... yet.

ok
when did you apply? are you a FL resident ??and what your BCPM
other than this every thing looks nice in your file ..good luck

hey there:

1) applied early on in July ... interview invite in early February; but was out of the country and could not come back til April 2nd to interview; HOLD listed on April 16th

2) my BCPM is about a 3.4-3.5, if I recall correctly. <scratches head>

3) and yes, I am a FL resident ... went to college in FL, graduated in biochem, still live there too ...

so you think I'm looking ok then people? any advice/opinions gladly taken into consideration!

BUT ARGH!!!! .... THE WEIRD THING IS I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A PEEP :eek: OF A WORD REGARDING PEOPLE GETTING INTO FSU CoM OFF THE HOLD LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

any news on this would be great! 14 days and counting! :luck:

hey there:

1) applied early on in July ... interview invite in early February; but was out of the country and could not come back til April 2nd to interview; HOLD listed on April 16th

2) my BCPM is about a 3.4-3.5, if I recall correctly. <scratches head>

3) and yes, I am a FL resident ... went to college in FL, graduated in biochem, still live there too ...

so you think I'm looking ok then people? any advice/opinions gladly taken into consideration!

BUT ARGH!!!! .... THE WEIRD THING IS I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A PEEP :eek: OF A WORD REGARDING PEOPLE GETTING INTO FSU CoM OFF THE HOLD LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

any news on this would be great! 14 days and counting! :luck:

I got accepted off the HOLD list on April 25, so it can happen. Just check the "Florida Scools" thread.:D