Fulbright to med school app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ethan M

Reaction score
Good evening all, I am deciding between a Fulbright research award or a paid 60,000$ research program for my gap year. A little about me, I have good stats and wants to shoot for top 5 schools. What is the value of Fulbright research award for medical school? I am not too familiar with all the scholarships and fellowships in the U.S. so would love to have someone explain to me their values in med school app given good stats and ECs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Fulbright is highly regarded by med schools from what I've seen. Some top schools (Stanford + others) ask if you have certain national awards, and Fulbright is one of them

Reactions: 4 users
Good evening all, I am deciding between a Fulbright research award or a paid 60,000$ research program for my gap year. A little about me, I have good stats and wants to shoot for top 5 schools. What is the value of Fulbright research award for medical school? I am not too familiar with all the scholarships and fellowships in the U.S. so would love to have someone explain to me their values in med school app given good stats and ECs.
Fullbright will give you quite a boost, can't say the same for the research program. Would go with Fullbright like the others mentioned.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
100% do Fulbright. It is a highly regarded opportunity and I am sure it will be an incredible experience. You'll be able to do research in med school and later but Fullbright is a once in a lifetime opportunity

Reactions: 1 users
I did a 1 year medical research Fulbright and not one medical school interview has asked me about it. I wrote about it extensively in my applications. I have gotten more interview time dedicated to dumb YouTube videos I made when I was 13 than I have to my Fulbright.
At one interview I explicitly said "I am surprised no one has asked me about my Fulbright" and the comment was brushed over.

Everyone assures me a Fulbright is a big deal, and my mentor said "it will make your career," but I am not convinced.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I did a 1 year medical research Fulbright and not one medical school interview has asked me about it. I wrote about it extensively in my applications. I have gotten more interview time dedicated to dumb YouTube videos I made when I was 13 than I have to my Fulbright.
At one interview I explicitly said "I am surprised no one has asked me about my Fulbright" and the comment was brushed over.

Everyone assures me a Fulbright is a big deal, and my mentor said "it will make your career," but I am not convinced.

Do not confuse what interviewers ask about with what is important in getting you the interview. Sometimes we want to hear about something that was covered in less detail in your application rather than something that was covered extensively. It could also depend on the school's mission and the interviewer's specific interests.

Reactions: 5 users

As LizzyM said, the interview experience can be quite disconnected from the process of receiving an interview and they are not necessarily related as you're suggesting. Fullbright does have quite a significant boost and can overcompensate lower stats (as do similar scholarships like Goldwater, etc) when it comes to getting the interview.

Reactions: 3 users

My n=1 was also asked about a video they made about a EV which got international press by few interviewers but not lot about his first author research but that doesn’t mean they are undervaluing it. One interviewer said they can find other info from the application.

My n=1 was also asked about a video they made about a EV which got international press by few interviewers but not lot about his first author research but that doesn’t mean they are undervaluing it. One interviewer said they can find other info from the application.
EV stands for what?

Hard to know how they discussed your file behind closed doors, but it also depends on the school and their desired mission fit.

Read

If the question is which opportunity will be more helfpul in improving your chances of admission at a Top 5 school, the answer is clear: the Fulbright. In addition, a Fulbright research year may lead to additional publications, which would further enhance your chances of admission. Have you already been awarded the Fulbright, or do you just have your hat in the ring?