Full time locum before completing oral board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fatbellydoc

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently w2 one year out of residency. Oral board will be scheduled in 2027 (will be first attempt). Planning to go full time locum next year but will likely be before my oral board. I dont have problem preparing for it while travelling for locum. Only concern is if being board eligible (albeit graduated in 2025) will severely limiting my ability to do full time locum.

Current job in Texas but Im open to travel to other states.

Thanks!
 
Currently w2 one year out of residency. Oral board will be scheduled in 2027 (will be first attempt). Planning to go full time locum next year but will likely be before my oral board. I dont have problem preparing for it while travelling for locum. Only concern is if being board eligible (albeit graduated in 2025) will severely limiting my ability to do full time locum.

Current job in Texas but Im open to travel to other states.

Thanks!
It will help being boarded but if you are in the exam process and just finished residency I don't think it will hurt you.

About 15 years ago yes it would have been an issue because I struggled to find work during the time I passed my writtens and my orals (about a year).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
get ur boards done first.

Yes there are plenty of Locums jobs who will take a chance on non boarded newer grad. But some will scan your CV and if other options available. You may be punted lower on the list.

So you may not be high on the list to get in

But desperation sets in many places where you are earn good money if you don’t mind working in u desirable areas (aka. Cold weather states in pop size less than 500k)
 
I had a locum side gig before taking orals and I don’t remember it ever even coming up. I wrote down board eligible, gave my test date and never heard a thing about it.

You’re not really dealing with the Mensa club when working with locums agents and credentialing staff.