full time or part time masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jamie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you doing graduate programs, are you going part time or full time? I have 10 credits already, so I'm transfering those into an actual program. The issue is I just can not afford to do it full time. I have so many loans at this point, I need to wait for Dental school if at all possible. So I want to work full time and take a 4 credit hour class a semester. Does it look any better to just go full time? And as far as how many credits to take, I'd rather get an A in one class, then get 2 Bs or a B and a A by taking 8 hours and working full time, right?
I know the whole thesis vs. non thesis issue has been brought up here too, and i'm still so confused on what to do for that....

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a full time grad student. My advice on the subject is this: Do what is most convienent and afforable for you, and do what will enable you to do your best. If you are doing a master's program for the same reason I am (strengthing science background from undergrad) then you want to ensure that you are doing the best that you can!

As far as the loan deal, grad school is expensive, but try to minimize costs as much as you can, get a roommate or live at home if possible. I know that taking the extra time to finish doesn't sound like fun, but a 3.8-4.0 over 3 or 4 years is better than a 3.0-3.4 over 1 or 2 years.

As far as the thesis/non-thesis option, go with a thesis (This is what I am doing). You will have something to discuss at interviews, and possibly continue in dental school. Or you might find that you like research so much you are contemplating a Ph.D. instead of dental school, or looking for DDS/Ph.D. joint degree programs (I am finding myself in this situation and want to decide soon)

Hope this helps!

For those of you doing graduate programs, are you going part time or full time? I have 10 credits already, so I'm transfering those into an actual program. The issue is I just can not afford to do it full time. I have so many loans at this point, I need to wait for Dental school if at all possible. So I want to work full time and take a 4 credit hour class a semester. Does it look any better to just go full time? And as far as how many credits to take, I'd rather get an A in one class, then get 2 Bs or a B and a A by taking 8 hours and working full time, right?
I know the whole thesis vs. non thesis issue has been brought up here too, and i'm still so confused on what to do for that....

I know that it's expensive, but you have got to get it done as quickly and gpa effective as possible.

ok, well i still need to get into the program. I think I'm going to take one class the first semester...a class I know I can get an A in, and then go from there. I may either go down to part time, or leave my job all together for spring or next fall. I'll have to see. I'd really like to be able to just get it done though.