Full-Time PostBacc Student. Clinical/Research Part-Time Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

catdog1234

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am currently a full-time , 1st year student in my local postbacc program. I am also working full-time, but not in a medically-related field. I am having a hard time finding time to dedicate to clinical/research experience needed for medical school.

My goal is to get experience in the medical field by summer 2019. However, I would ideally want to support myself financially and believe a paid part-time job would be ideal.

Does anyone have recommendations for part-time paid experience that looks favorably upon for medical school admissions? I am pretty lost here, and would appreciate any insight or pointers on the types of work other students may be doing.
 
EMT, scribe, and CNA are the more common paid clinical positions but keep in mind that pay is pretty low.
 
At this point, I am totally fine with low pay (I am making 6 figures right now in software tech). The reason I want to transition is to (a) get more exposure to medically related field while (b) paying for my tuition.

I have heard EMT is a good position, although with my tight schedule, I only have 1.2 years left in my program before I apply to medical school, so I am not sure EMT would be the best fit given what i've heard in terms of the training requirements.

Any other pointers would be helpful 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go to the websites of nearby hospitals and look at their open job positions. Find out what your options are and apply. Any position where you have patient contact will be a good start.
 
As mentioned above, scribing is a pretty good way to get clinical exposure. Also look into working at group homes as a caregiver. You can do a lot of hands-on work with clients who are usually medically fragile and you don't need specialized training to get the job.