Fun With Chirality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rah08e

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am comfortable with chirality but there is one nagging issue for me. Lets say you have a structure like this with 2 chiral centers but different attachments at the top and bottom when comparing both compounds:

View attachment photo.JPG

Would you assign "R" & "S" like normal, or do you have to fix one of the compounds so that each has the same attachments at the top and bottom. I hope what i'm asking is clear lol. Based on how I assigned R & S, these look like Diastereomers.

-Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am comfortable with chirality but there is one nagging issue for me. Lets say you have a structure like this with 2 chiral centers but different attachments at the top and bottom when comparing both compounds:

View attachment 17502

Would you assign "R" & "S" like normal, or do you have to fix one of the compounds so that each has the same attachments at the top and bottom. I hope what i'm asking is clear lol. Based on how I assigned R & S, these look like Diastereomers.

-Thanks!

Yes, that's right! Diastereomers