Functional Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

upload_2016-9-6_10-11-23.png

Disclaimer: Not sure if you all can see the above structure or not
In an organic chemistry quiz, one question asked was to identify a structure with an aldehyde, an ether, and a secondary alcohol. I picked this option. Why is it incorrect?
Here is the correct answer
upload_2016-9-6_10-13-32.png

Members don't see this ad.

My Chem is limited as I am just taking Orgo 1 right now but the one you posted has a carboxyl group which I believe you took to represent an ether and an aldehyde group which is incorrect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, an ether can be in a ring. But I don't think the ring in your picture is aromatic

Reactions: 1 user
Oh lmao. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully functional groups become a second language as time goes on.

No worries man. IS that ASAP rocky in your pic haha?

Yeah chemistry is kind of like math. As you do problem after problem, you'll recognize patterns and it becomes a language :)

No worries man. IS that ASAP rocky in your pic haha?

Yeah chemistry is kind of like math. As you do problem after problem, you'll recognize patterns and it becomes a language :)
I've started to realize that about ochem. I had it down pat then took a break for a few days and came back rusty, so I realized that I should probably not do that anymore lol.
And yeah its ASAP rocky. Saw him live a little bit ago and became re-obsessed with his music:laugh:

I've started to realize that about ochem. I had it down pat then took a break for a few days and came back rusty, so I realized that I should probably not do that anymore lol.
And yeah its ASAP rocky. Saw him live a little bit ago and became re-obsessed with his music:laugh:

Yeah haha, you seem to be working hard so keep at it! Just don't burnout since you probably have school coming up soon eh?

I used to listen to A$AP a bunch in high school, then fell off the music train in university. Makes me want to pull up some old tracks haha.

Reactions: 1 user