AN4TOMY

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Dental Student
upload_2016-9-6_10-11-23.png
Disclaimer: Not sure if you all can see the above structure or not
In an organic chemistry quiz, one question asked was to identify a structure with an aldehyde, an ether, and a secondary alcohol. I picked this option. Why is it incorrect?
Here is the correct answer
upload_2016-9-6_10-13-32.png

2y4life

2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2015
Status
Non-Student
My Chem is limited as I am just taking Orgo 1 right now but the one you posted has a carboxyl group which I believe you took to represent an ether and an aldehyde group which is incorrect.

OP
AN4TOMY

AN4TOMY

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Dental Student
The option you chose looks like an Ester, not an ether.
I see that now, thank you. So this means that an ether can be in a aromatic ring? I was under the misconception that it cannot.

asdf99

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yes, an ether can be in a ring. But I don't think the ring in your picture is aromatic

Reactions: spressomfs
OP
AN4TOMY

AN4TOMY

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Yes, an ether can be in a ring. But I don't think the ring in your picture is aromatic
Oh lmao. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully functional groups become a second language as time goes on.

asdf99

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2014
Status
Oh lmao. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully functional groups become a second language as time goes on.
No worries man. IS that ASAP rocky in your pic haha?

Yeah chemistry is kind of like math. As you do problem after problem, you'll recognize patterns and it becomes a language :)

OP
AN4TOMY

AN4TOMY

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Dental Student
No worries man. IS that ASAP rocky in your pic haha?

Yeah chemistry is kind of like math. As you do problem after problem, you'll recognize patterns and it becomes a language :)
I've started to realize that about ochem. I had it down pat then took a break for a few days and came back rusty, so I realized that I should probably not do that anymore lol.
And yeah its ASAP rocky. Saw him live a little bit ago and became re-obsessed with his music:laugh:

asdf99

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2014
Status
I've started to realize that about ochem. I had it down pat then took a break for a few days and came back rusty, so I realized that I should probably not do that anymore lol.
And yeah its ASAP rocky. Saw him live a little bit ago and became re-obsessed with his music:laugh:
Yeah haha, you seem to be working hard so keep at it! Just don't burnout since you probably have school coming up soon eh?

I used to listen to A$AP a bunch in high school, then fell off the music train in university. Makes me want to pull up some old tracks haha.

Reactions: spressomfs

WheatLom

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
ester vs. ether.

CLASSSIC MISUNDERSTANDING lol. its ok it happens