Functional neurosurgery? DBS, Spinal stimulators etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovelamp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone here knows a neurosurgeon who specializes in functional neurosurgery? Can someone tell me some information on this? This was one of the main things that got me interested in neuroscience in the first place.

Members don't see this ad.

Ashwini Sharan at Jeff. I never did clinic with him, but I did shadow him in the OR a bunch of times. He treated primarily for epilepsies, so there were a lot of temporal lobectomies and also grid implants (obviously not in that order).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the hours these functional neurosurgeons work? I really need to know as I need to decide if neurosurgery is what I want to do...

The chairman at OHSU is primarily a functional neurosurgeon. He did the first DBS in the U.S. and likely does more DBS than any other neurosurgeon in the country (two or three each week). He does many microvascular decompressions, epilepsy cases, vagal nerve stimulators, spinal cord stimulators, gangliolysis, rhizotomy, etc. But even he does not do only functional neurosurgery. He does a significant amount of spine and tumor and still takes trauma call. As chairman of a big academic department certainly works long hours.

It would be difficult to have a neurosurgery practice consisting only of functional work as it takes a long time to become proficient at these procedures. As they are not that common you would likely not learn enough in residency to do this alone and would likely require fellowship and then a while doing general neurosurgery before becoming proficient to do this and nothing else. On top of that, solo neurosurgery practices are fairly rare, and in a group you would be expected to cover call and trauma which means long hours and being available for emergencies. Even pure functional cases are risky procedures in which post op patients can have emergencies day or night that need to be dealt with.

No matter what you do in the field of neurosurgery there will always be times where you will be needed in the middle of the night and on weekends and holidays. It is not a 9 to 5 office-type practice even in functional neurosurgery. Any specialty can be a "lifestyle" specialty if you love what you do. Everybody is frustrated by missing special occasions or wishing you could sleep a bit more. But there is nothing more satisfying than spending 12 or 14 hours a day doing what you enjoy AND making a difference in people's lives.

Reactions: 1 users
More information can be found here:<link deleted by mod>

Last edited by a moderator: