Funding and switching residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-1 who wants to switch residencies. I will have to apply to the match during my PGY-2.

After this year I will have 3 years of funding remaining. If I leave my current program will I keep all three or will one be used whether I'm there or not?

Should maintaining all 3 years be a priority for me? I'm planning to apply for family medicine, but will probably be geographically restricted.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PGY-1 who wants to switch residencies. I will have to apply to the match during my PGY-2.

After this year I will have 3 years of funding remaining. If I leave my current program will I keep all three or will one be used whether I'm there or not?

Should maintaining all 3 years be a priority for me? I'm planning to apply for family medicine, but will probably be geographically restricted.
This should be doable provided you're a US graduate in good standing at your current program AND that you're willing to complete PGY-2 at your old place and then start over as an intern for FM which by the way your post is phrased seems to be the case. Partial credit may be offered, but unless it's a full year and the PD who takes you OKs it, you're likely starting as an intern.

Medicare funds residencies by putting money into two streams: Direct Medical Education & Indirect Medical Education. The Indirect is actually fully covered even if you have used up all your years, but Direct Medical Education funding is not covered. This means you're funded somewhere close to 75% for years you've used up which hopefully makes you feel better. Even better news is that many places actually go over the funding cap to train residents (using other income streams) and under normal circumstances are footing the bill for residents anyways meaning your situation won't stand out to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you leave your program and don't join another, then you'll keep 3 years of full funding left.

Thank you. That's what I was wondering. Should maintaining all 3 years be a priority to optimize my chances at matching?

Hard to answer. Some programs will care about full funding, some will not. But some will care about long breaks in your training also.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. That's what I was wondering. Should maintaining all 3 years be a priority to optimize my chances at matching?

OP don't leave. Finish PGY-2. Having 2 vs. 3 years funding won't matter as much as having an entire year gap and also, for your sake, a salary and a job to maintain your sanity. There's not much you can do in the meantime to earn a living and progress your career and I think that's understated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP don't leave. Finish PGY-2. Having 2 vs. 3 years funding won't matter as much as having an entire year gap and also, for your sake, a salary and a job to maintain your sanity. There's not much you can do in the meantime to earn a living and progress your career and I think that's understated.
Thanks! That's what I'm thinking too.

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking too.
Ask, also having two years of experience as opposed to one will make you an appealing candidate to some programs. There are lots out there looking for experienced AMGs and good IMGs to do good work. They may ask you in your interviews if you can handle going back to intern year and being managed by someone with less experience than you and your answer to that should be a genuine, modest one that you really want this and don’t care who’s supervising you as your main goal is patient care.

do u need a lor in the specilaty ur switching to?

do u need a lor in the specilaty ur switching to?
Depends. If the specialty is somewhat related (IM vs. FM) you might be able to get away without an actual FM letter. If it's between IM and Surgery, then yes...you will most likely need a letter to succeed.