PhD/PsyD Funding clinical phd in canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user8111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you also have Canadian citizenship?

Many Canadian applicants will get CIHR or SSHRC funding before beginning grad school. I don't think you are eligible for that is you are not a Canadian citizen.

From being an international applicant looking at US sites: sometimes you'll see the tuition listed on the grad school web site as $20k per year, or whatever. Funded US programs waive part, most, or all of that, including for international students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian universities tuition is way, way, way lower than US universities, and many will waive international grad students down to domestic levels (a few thousand a year) compared to the US 20k and up. Also, in Canada, the programs often separate the masters and phd programs, but they work functionally the way that US PhD programs do - the masters programs aren't considered to be terminal, so if you are accepted to the master's program the expectation is that you will continue on into the phd program (even though they are listed as separate programs). So you would actually apply to the "masters" programs but with the expectation of doing the PhD. You are right about funding, as a non-Canadian you won't be eligible for the types of federal funding that you could bring with you into a program (from CIHR, SSHRC, or NSERC) but many universities have university-level or department-level funding for international students. Your best bet is to identify schools that are a good fit with your research interests and then contact potential faculty mentors at that school directly to find out how it would work for an international student. Source: US citizen who did my MA and PhD work at a Canadian university. Good luck, OP!

many will waive international grad students down to domestic levels (a few thousand a year) compared to the US 20k and up.
I'd check this before agreeing to anything though... a couple Canadian universities I know don't do this, and totally gouge the internationals (i.e., multiple times more $ in tuition). Other than that, agree!

I'd check this before agreeing to anything though... a couple Canadian universities I know don't do this, and totally gouge the internationals (i.e., multiple times more $ in tuition). Other than that, agree!

Yes, for sure, you always need to look at the specifics of any offer before you sign on the dotted line. More just a heads up that the "sticker price" for international students paying tuition might look worse than it is, so don't rule out Canadian programs necessarily on that basis without doing your homework on a particular program.

Thank you for your help! I'm a bit worried it might come off as presumptuous or lazy if I immediately ask a potential supervisor about funding, but they are the best people to ask, yes? (so far I've been contacting some Graduate Secretaries and they have not been really helpful)

It's NOT weird, gauche, or awkward in any way to clarify exact costs of programs. You wouldn't sign on to a job without knowing the salary. The person you want to talk to, though, is likely the dept admin person who handles pay lines. That person is the one who goes through lines for stipends, counts off the tuition waivers, etc.