funding for Canadians attending US dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of Canadian banks that will fund a dental education in US without a colateral?

Members don't see this ad.

Canhelp unfortunatly requires a cosigner from US

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to a bank. RBC or BMO.
Does canhelp really require a co-signer? I think if you borrow little, you won't need any. Use the bank as primary, canhelp as secondary.

Hey

Canhelp needs a Canadian co-borrower...but if you want to apply on your own signature they will accept that too, but you'll be eligible for less money. I just submitted the application so if you have more questions let me know. No need for a US co-signer though!

RBC has a line of credit upto 150 K for medical and dental students...they have a list of approved schools out of Canada, and from what I remember most of the US dental schools were on the list, but I would double check. I have the list if you want it.

I'm still researching, but so far I think it might be better to rely on canhelp first and the banks second, because you will have to make payments on interest while in school for the RBC line of credit, but with canhelp it will accrue without you making payments till after graduation.

Also lok into OSAP/federal canadian loans - they do give us some money and it helps!

Good luck!!!

Topgun thanks for the info.How much does Canhelp give? I unfortunatly do not have even a Canadian Cosigner. Is Pacific on your list for RBC?

I believe that CanHelp will give you up to the amount that you need. But I thought that CanHelp had some really insane interest rates

Hey

Canhelp will give you upto 20,000 per year on your own signature. It goes up to a maximum of 45000 if you apply with a credit worthy co-signer.

I don't see Pacific's dental school specifically listed, but there is a listing for 'University of the Pacific" so you might get away with it. I found a link for the list they use as a guideline:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/hip/cslp/ImportantLinks/02_il_MasterListIndx.shtml

Take a look and the best thing to do is to call them!! Good luck and let me know if you need more information. It is tough getting through this process but at least it's good to have an acceptance eh?

Topgun thanks again but for some reason the site that you sent is not working. I belive it is a Canadian govt site!

Sorry about that! Works for me from my email but not from sdn. Obviously I'm not tech savvy enough to fix it :p But the link posted by the poster above is the same document. And yes it's a list of approved schools from the government but that's what an RBC representative sent me.