Funding for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a PGY1 (I would have been starting my dermatology residency in July) however the spot is privately funded. Unfortunately, given the COVID pandemic the funding for the spot has dried up and I likely won't be able to start in July. Does anybody have any thoughts/ideas on how to get my (as well as my co-residents) spots?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

This is ridiculous.

Is this a US based residency? PE backed? Pulling funding from an entire residency class is a huge deal.

Only options I can think of is talking to a rural hospital to fund you and in exchange you promise to work there for 5 years after residency.

This is ridiculous.

Is this a US based residency? PE backed? Pulling funding from an entire residency class is a huge deal.

Only options I can think of is talking to a rural hospital to fund you and in exchange you promise to work there for 5 years after residency.
Yes it is US based. I’m not sure what PE backed means?

Thank you for your insight. I know this was all very unexpected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is US based. I’m not sure what PE backed means?

Thank you for your insight. I know this was all very unexpected.

Was this a program at an academic institution or at a set of private clinics? I'm assuming that it was a set of clinics owned by a private equity firm since pulling funding from a residency class isn't something I've seen any academic programs do.

Reactions: 1 user
My suspicion is that you’re out of luck. You would likely have to reapply. What kind of residency is privately funded? There were DO programs like that but my understanding is that they have shut down due to the merger. Please name names

Reactions: 1 user
Never heard of privately funded derm residency spots, except private equity groups like Advanced Derm. I'd also be really curious to know more about this program. Hard to answer the question without knowing more.