funny EMS stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edivocke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start this post since I'm sure you guys have had some funny things happen to you on the ambulance. I have 3 ...but I'll just put one in this thread (at first).

So we got a call for a patient who supposedly either fell asleep on the phone, and the person on the other line called 911. Me (3rd), the paramedic, and the firefighter (driver) responded to the scene. His door of course was locked, and surprisingly we didn't have any tools on the ambo to open the door (someone forgot to restock). So, as the firefighter is looking for the lock kit, and the paramedic is trying to break in through the windows...I was knocking and yelling loudly at the door "fire department!!".

The paramedic on duty with me who's some character...tells me to break the window with my elbow...b/c he still has 10 more years till retirement and he can't be wasting his elbow on the plexiglass window. So I started for it...and he said "no, no, no...i was joking"...(give me a break guys, my adrenaline was rushing and I wanted to get into the patient as fast as i can...basically I was suffering from "tunnel vision")

Anyhow...the paramedic asked me if I had a credit card. So I gave him my VISA, and I thought he was going to do some experienced trick of swiping the credit card through the lock on the door (there was no dead bolt). However, he jammed it between the crevice of the door and the lock and was roughly screwing with it for 10 mins...finally the lock jumped, and we opened the door. Then he handed me back my severly bent and now worthless credit card (bent in half and crumpled = no swiping capabilities left)....

I asked him, "why couldn't you have used yours?"

he said

"it only accepted a VISA!"

Members don't see this ad.

I was out riding third on the AMBO at around 2 am in the morning coming back from the call with my duty crew when we heard a funny call over the radio.

The battalion chief on duty was saying over the radio "I'm going to have to be put out of service, I just hit a deer!"

As we were laughing our heads off...all the sudden a deer crossed our path and we had to swerve out of the way. We went from roaring laughter to dead silence. It was a very close call.

Who's laughing now?

This didn't actually happen to me, but I heard about it.

This guy was working on his motorcycle, and as he was reving it up...it got lose of its restraints...and it crashed into a glass screen door. The man's wife called 911, and the medics arrived on the scene treating him for glass injuries. While the man was at the hospital, his wife cleaned up the mess of oil and glass and threw the paper towels in the toilet upstairs. When the man got home the same day, he thanked his wife for cleaning up the mess and he went up stairs and sat down on the toilet. While he was reading the paper, he decided to take a smoke. Since there was no ash try around, he threw his smoke into the toilet...and of course it flared up.

As his wife called 911 again, the same medics arrived to treat him. As they were carrying him down the stairs to the waiting Ambulance, he recounted what happened to them. The medics began to laugh so hard that they dropped him on the stairs. When they arrived at the hospital, the medics had to explain to the doctors how the man got his broken arm.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard this from my EMS instructor:

She was called to a patient who wanted to commit suicide. The guy pointed the guy at his mouth and the bullet went straight thru. When she got onto the scene, she said something along the line of, "Yeup it's a DOA!"

The guy opens his eyes, and says, "I wish you were dead you stupid b****!"

Needless to say, she was shocked.

Back when I was a new EMT in my senior year in college we were called to the scene of an allergic reaction from a bee sting. Arrived on scene and found a large old African American woman sitting around with her family. Her lower lip was absolutely enormous. I was worried about other airway swelling and asked if she was having difficulty breathing as I was getting the epi pen ready. This is how the conversation went:

Me: Mam are you having any trouble breathing?
Pt: No
Me: Does it feel like your throat is getting tighter?
Me: So how long did the bee bite you?
Pt: About 5 minutes before y'all got here?
Me: 5 Minutes!! And your lip got that big?
Pt: BOY!! It bit me on my arm, there ain't nothing wrong with my lip!!

Needless to say I was quite embarrased and it took some time for me to get my foot out of my mouth.

Dukes said:
Back when I was a new EMT in my senior year in college we were called to the scene of an allergic reaction from a bee sting. Arrived on scene and found a large old African American woman sitting around with her family. Her lower lip was absolutely enormous. I was worried about other airway swelling and asked if she was having difficulty breathing as I was getting the epi pen ready. This is how the conversation went:

Me: Mam are you having any trouble breathing?
Me: Does it feel like your throat is getting tighter?
Me: So how long did the bee bite you?
Pt: About 5 minutes before y'all got here?
Me: 5 Minutes!! And your lip got that big?
Pt: BOY!! It bit me on my arm, there ain't nothing wrong with my lip!!

Needless to say I was quite embarrased and it took some time for me to get my foot out of my mouth.

LOL...that's hilarious!!!