future ENTs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwouden

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if there are any other future otolaryngologogy students or residents who frequent this board.

I'm an MSIII looking for research to do during a year off. I'm trying to decide between basic and clinical ENT research. Any opinions on whether basic research is essential, or whether clinical will do?

Also, if you know of any other good otolaryngology resources, I would be appreciative. I found this good board:

<a href="http://pub75.ezboard.com/botolaryngologyresidencyapplicants" target="_blank">http://pub75.ezboard.com/botolaryngologyresidencyapplicants</a>

I would also be interested in opinions concerning what the best programs are, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am an M2 interested in ENT, also. From my experience, it does not seem like many other students interested in ENT (or ENT residents) frequent this site, unfortunately.
I don't know which type of research is better, but I think that, under the best circumstances, the project would somehow be related to the field you want to go into and also be publishable in a well known journal. How practical these guidelines are, I am not sure. I spent the past summer doing H & N cancer research for a PhD in Speech and Hearing Science, but the project was too big to be completed in the time frame and I don't want to take time off of school. anyways, good luck deciding. In my quest for information, the most important thing (besides grades/ test scores) seems to be anything that will make you stand out from the scores of other overachievers that want to get into the field.
Mary

Hi
I am a MS4 in the middle of the application process for ENT. It is my feeling that it really doesn't matter what type of research you do. I personally did basic science research experience that is not closely related to ENT, but it still comes up in every interview. I think they basically want you to have some research experience(although it is not essential) and be able to talk about it in an intelligent manner.
As far as what programs are the best... Each program has its reputation. You should look for what program is best for YOU. Some programs are research heavy, others don't care about research, and some others have a well balanced mix. I am personally looking for a hands-on, clinically oriented program. Then you must look at the residents when you go for the interview. Are they happy/miserable? You might be surprised at some of the things you see on your interview.
I too am dismayed by the lack of ent info on this site. If you have any other questions about the process i'd be happy to give my two cents.

Thanks for the replies! Glad to hear that there are at least a couple others here who are interested.

I actually do have a question concerning back-up plans. Presumably since it is such a competitive specialty, it is a good idea to have a back up application in the regular match. My question is: can the prelim surgery application that you have to do in the regular match function as a back up, or do you need another one besides that? If you don't match in ORL, will the prelim surgery still take you? Then I presume you can apply again in the subsequent ORL match during your prelim surgery year... What are you doing for a back up, if any, bejou?

Also, any opinions on the value of away rotations in otolaryngology? Are they helpful or hurtful?

Finally, what programs have attracted you so far, based on your criteria of wanting a clinical/hands-on program?

Thanks again. I hope that the process is going well for you so far.