Future ER Doctor?

Started by ZhivagoMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ZhivagoMD

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone! Long time reader here, joined today with a question. I know there's a million of these, but just wanted some input on my particular scenario from those who have been in my shoes. I completed my B.S. in Exercise Science and Physiology with a 3.18 GPA. Not very proud of it, however I was an athlete in college and didn't put forth the effort needed to obtain a High GPA. Last 3 semester were 3.6, 3.7, 3.6 respectively. That being said, I do like to think of myself as an intelligent person. I got an A in both of my Anatomy Courses which at my university, was typically a very difficult course for most students. I graduated 2015.

Fast forward, I graduated first in my Paramedic class, and have been a medic for the last year, 3 years total EMS experience. I know medical schools typically do not take into the consideration the difference of an EMT and medic which is a little absurd in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there. Over the last year I have contemplated PA school, however as the year has gone on, I cant fathom PA school over medical school especially when my passion is EM (however I am not limiting myself to just this). Taking all things into consideration with my significant other, I have decided to pursue medical school, most likely DO programs because I am realistic.

I plan to take 6 prereqs, 1 of which would be a retake from college as it was Physics I from my freshman year which I received a C in. I plan to take 1-2 classes a semester while continuing full time hours as a medic. With A's in my prereqs, and a decent MCAT score, I would like to think I could get in somewhere. Is this an advisable course of action? Or would you guys recommend a post-bacc program. From my research they are expensive and hard to get into. I have spoken with my medical director at work and he is planning to guide me a little bit as well, as he came from a non-trad path to his degree as well. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated and I apologize again if this comes off as a "will I get in plz help" post.

Thanks!!
 
A DIY post-bacc is what you're planning, and it's perfectly fine!

I plan to take 6 prereqs, 1 of which would be a retake from college as it was Physics I from my freshman year which I received a C in. I plan to take 1-2 classes a semester while continuing full time hours as a medic. With A's in my prereqs, and a decent MCAT score, I would like to think I could get in somewhere. Is this an advisable course of action? Or would you guys recommend a post-bacc program. From my research they are expensive and hard to get into. I have spoken with my medical director at work and he is planning to guide me a little bit as well, as he came from a non-trad path to his degree as well. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated and I apologize again if this comes off as a "will I get in plz help" post.

Thanks!!