Future ER Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZhivagoMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Long time reader here, joined today with a question. I know there's a million of these, but just wanted some input on my particular scenario from those who have been in my shoes. I completed my B.S. in Exercise Science and Physiology with a 3.18 GPA. Not very proud of it, however I was an athlete in college and didn't put forth the effort needed to obtain a High GPA. Last 3 semester were 3.6, 3.7, 3.6 respectively. That being said, I do like to think of myself as an intelligent person. I got an A in both of my Anatomy Courses which at my university, was typically a very difficult course for most students. I graduated 2015.

Fast forward, I graduated first in my Paramedic class, and have been a medic for the last year, 3 years total EMS experience. I know medical schools typically do not take into the consideration the difference of an EMT and medic which is a little absurd in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there. Over the last year I have contemplated PA school, however as the year has gone on, I cant fathom PA school over medical school especially when my passion is EM (however I am not limiting myself to just this). Taking all things into consideration with my significant other, I have decided to pursue medical school, most likely DO programs because I am realistic.

I plan to take 6 prereqs, 1 of which would be a retake from college as it was Physics I from my freshman year which I received a C in. I plan to take 1-2 classes a semester while continuing full time hours as a medic. With A's in my prereqs, and a decent MCAT score, I would like to think I could get in somewhere. Is this an advisable course of action? Or would you guys recommend a post-bacc program. From my research they are expensive and hard to get into. I have spoken with my medical director at work and he is planning to guide me a little bit as well, as he came from a non-trad path to his degree as well. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated and I apologize again if this comes off as a "will I get in plz help" post.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

A DIY post-bacc is what you're planning, and it's perfectly fine!

I plan to take 6 prereqs, 1 of which would be a retake from college as it was Physics I from my freshman year which I received a C in. I plan to take 1-2 classes a semester while continuing full time hours as a medic. With A's in my prereqs, and a decent MCAT score, I would like to think I could get in somewhere. Is this an advisable course of action? Or would you guys recommend a post-bacc program. From my research they are expensive and hard to get into. I have spoken with my medical director at work and he is planning to guide me a little bit as well, as he came from a non-trad path to his degree as well. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated and I apologize again if this comes off as a "will I get in plz help" post.

Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
A DIY post-bacc is what you're planning, and it's perfectly fine!

That's the plan anyway! Hopefully they'll note the upward trend and clinical practice I've obtained over the years.